Teaching at the top American schools in Asia

teacher_asia

Teaching at the top American schools in Asia

Post by teacher_asia »

I have read many reviews about high stress and demanding workload at most of the top American International schools (Singapore, Taipei, Shanghai ect).

Can someone comment on the nature of the high workload and/or stress.?

I have worked in several small-medium sized schools. These schools often are at the stage where they want to offer the huge program that a 2000+ student school offers, yet don't have the resources or facilities to achieve it.

Of course, the burden of accomplishing these high achieving programs rests on the shoulders of the teachers and therfore the workload is exceedingly demanding.

How can the workload and demands at the larger schools possibly be higher than those at smaller but still demanding schools? A person/teacher can only do so much.......

It would be great if someone with experience in these schools could give some input into the nature of the workload at the top large international schools in Asia which have caused some reviewers to comment,

" x American school works you to the bone!"
" Teachers are expected to work hard but are well compensated"

I'd say these sentiments about high expectations and demanding workload would be shared by many teachers working in smaller, less reputable international schools.

Again, how is it different in the large, well established American International schools?
maxsaidno

Working to the Bone

Post by maxsaidno »

I've worked in the US, and at three international schools, two of which were in Asia, with the other being in S. America. Both Asian schools are high pressure, large schools. Before replying in full I would state this: I think stereotypes can be dangerous, as schools vary widely with just how much "work" there is. It can be disastrous to stereotype by continent.

The two schools I worked/work at in Asia both paid well, but they had/have much more evolved programs than smaller schools, because each had/has a large staff and many students. A large staff means more hands to do the work, and many students equates to lots of tuition money, and high salaries that attract good teachers. I have, and have had, to work much harder at these to schools than in the States or S. America, because there was much more that was expected.

Working in S. America was a switch from this (I won't go into the US public system...it's a different kettle of fish.) We had only about 1200 kids at my school, and I was able to save about 1100 US a month vs. the 2500 US a month I now save at my Asian school. Besides that, however, was the cultural context. At the particular school I was at, it was quite Latin, there was little pressure to succeed, and most of the teachers didn't care about working at all.

You have to take this into context of two elements: culture and the individual. The culture of Asia is demanding towards academics, and this bleeds into school culture. More importantly, though, is the individual: at both Asian schools I've worked at there were people who did it for the money, but couldn't handle the stress, which lead to them saying they're being worked too hard. However, there are many people who do handle the stress well, and don't feel it's that bad.

Yes, you'll work hard at a large Asian school, but you will be paid well for it, and it is rewarding working with driven individuals.
teacher_asia

Post by teacher_asia »

Thanks for the reply and valuable information maxsaidno.

I was focusing on the larger schools in Asia becasue that is the area I have the most experience and am interested in. I agree, stereotypes can be misleading and damaging, and that wasn't my intent.

I guess I am wondering about the specific nature of the workload and demands. How are the demands and expectations in a large, well established school different than those in a smaller school undergoing significant development and changes?

I'm assuming (pehaps wrongly) that the focus of a teacher in one of the schools in questions is more specific in nature, but the expectation is for very high performance in that area?

I have heard that teaching in these circumstances can be very rewarding, as you are able to affect a high level of student learning in the classroom, which is what many of us (myself included) got into education to be a part of. The well defined structures and ample educational support all work toward this end..........

Do I have it right? :-)

Thanks
maxsaidno

Rewards and Costs

Post by maxsaidno »

Heya!

Yes, the teaching in my experience has been very rewarding.

Yes, the demands are much higher, and this is because I feel that large schools tend to take themselves too seriously; somehow the idea of being a "professional" school equates to a breakneck pace. I think it's just the psychology of believing that to be the best one must give all.

Having said that, there's a reason these schools have lines out the door at job fairs, and I don't think it's all just about the money, although that does play a part. Having worked at a school that was the definition of unprofessional, I work where I do now because it is the definition of professional. Life's too short to waste time in a rinky-dink operation.