What would you choose?

kjbar

What would you choose?

Post by kjbar »

I'm working to decide between two offers and I know that a large part of my decision will depend on what I decide I value most: compensation or a potentially interesting location. However, since this will be my first international job I'm not sure which of those two things I should value more. I'm hoping that some of you might be able to give me advice about what you would do if you were given the same two choices.

School 1--Egypt
Pay: $37,000
Housing: Allowance of 5000 EGP/month; I'd be responsible for utilities
Small settling-in allowance
Transportation to and from school each day
Student body of 1,200 with 10% U.S citizens and 80% local students

School 2--capital city in western Africa
Pay: $49,000
Housing: school-provided furnished housing; school pays for utilities
Generous baggage/shipment/storage allowance
Transportation would require a car and school offers an interest free loan
Student body of 500 with 35% U.S. citizens and 40% local students; school is U.S. State Dept. and Embassy affiliated

I'm leaning toward school 2 because of the better pay and benefits, but I want to make sure that makes sense and that I'm not crazy to be turning down the other opportunity. Thoughts?
reisgio

Re: What would you choose?

Post by reisgio »

How would Egypt be better? Of course you are not crazy, go to the West Africa one! Congratulations.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I too would say go for option 2. Both locations have the potential to be stressful/unsafe and both could be an interesting adventure. If you can have that and bank some serious coin then that would be the answer for me.

We were in Egypt before the revolution and enjoyed it (we were in Alex, making $20K a year with a 1K Egyptian pound per month housing allowance). The bottom line is that positions in Egypt are likely to be fairly easy to come by for the foreseeable future since it is pretty much a hardship location in many respects (in perception if nothing else). The salary and housing is fine for Cairo (not great but just fine) but the student make up is likely to make for a potentially frustrating teaching experience (Egyptian males mature at an inverse rate, the older they get the more immature they become).

You would be missing out on more interesting cultural opportunities/amazing antiquities by skipping Egypt but you would be able to afford to travel there extensively by taking the other job. Also, the school sounds like it would be more rewarding in all respects and look better on your resume. Have you checked out the paid reviews section on both schools/countries?

Congrats! It's always nice to have choices.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In general I concur with @WT123, the issue is that you described compensation and an interesting experience, yet you described nothing in your post about the Egypt position that would indicate it has special interest for you? From what you describe the S. Africa appointment is the clearly superior opportunity. As @W123 described there is nothing special about the Egypt position and the compensation package and the IS demographics are going to present frustrations. These tier of vacancies are going to be available throughout the year.

Again, it depends what you value. The Egypt vacancy is likely going to be less work, and the expectations wont be as high as you will have at the S. Africa IS. You would have greater opportunity to advance to leadership in the Egypt IS. The shipping allowance is only of greater value if you actually use all of it, which greatly depends on how much you ship. If you bring 3 bags each then your not realizing a lot of value from that shipping allowance.
The S. Africa offers a loan, but its still a loan that you have to spend to buy a vehicle. The Egypt IS provides actual transportation that doesnt come out of your income.
The S.Africa housing is likely very nice, and convenient, but you have no choices as you would have with an allowance.

Depending on what you value and what your priorities and goals are either appointment could be the superior offer.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Option 2
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Option 2. Sounds like a school I worked at in Egypt.
MamfeMan

Post by MamfeMan »

West Africa is great. My assumption is it will be small, intimate school with interesting kids. The people are great and full of energy, and the eating and drinking can be glorious. (Unless you'd going to Nigeria. There are some questionable schools there.) Congrats.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

80% local egyptians? option 2 please!

congrats!

v.
teller

Post by teller »

School #2 in West Africa--congratulations!
rake

Post by rake »

School #2, especially if it is the assisted school at post for the Office of Overseas Schools. You will be more likely to have an actual international school experience, as opposed to the Egyptian school. The 10% American student population probably consists of students who have both Egyptian and American passports.
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

I work in Egypt at the moment.

Option 2.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

I work in N. Africa in a similar setting as what you have described in School 1, though not Egypt.
Choose the second school.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Not sure which West African capital you are talking about, but I have spent extended stays (months) in a couple of them, and I loved it. Would go back to live in a heartbeat. Not for the faint of heart, though.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

How do schools get by with offering salaries of 20k? A non educator could go to Korea and babysit kids with no lesson planning or extra duties and make more than that with a free apartment.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

MedellinHeel wrote:
> How do schools get by with offering salaries of 20k? A non educator could
> go to Korea and babysit kids with no lesson planning or extra duties and
> make more than that with a free apartment.
------------
This was back in 2005 or so. It was our first overseas jobs, It was net and our bills were very low. So we did some traveling, lived pretty well and still saved more than one person's salary in a year (which was a lot more than we ever saved in our home state with both of us teaching and paying rent, car costs etc.).