Alexandria, Egypt

Chizz

Alexandria, Egypt

Post by Chizz »

Hi everyone. I'd be grateful for some advice on this.
I'm well-aware of the political situation in Egypt, as well as the specific security scares with flights over the past few months. It is a country I've always wanted to live in since visiting it when younger and a great-looking job opportunity in Alexandria has come up. What I can't decide is whether it's worth the risk. I don't have any kids, which makes a difference to my outlook. Does anyone have recent experience of working in or around Alexandria? I'd be really keen for first-hand information to help me make up my mind.
Many thanks!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Alexandria, Egypt

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

There was an old thread about a school in Alex that also had some information about the city:

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... alex#p2753

There is also a thread about living in Egypt from 2014 from another forum:

https://community.tes.com/threads/livin ... ro.699509/

Also, we lived in Alex before the revolution and quite liked it. Anything I say is dated obviously but it seemed a good place for at least a couple of years. Even at that time there was good shopping at a western style mall and Carrefour, a decent selection of restaurants and walking along the Corniche was safe and pleasant. There were also a good number of travel destinations within a day or two of Alex (El Alamein, Siwa Oasis etc). Also Cairo is only a two hour train ride away. Some of the best and most enjoyable meals we have had were at a Chinese restaurant on the roof of the Sofitel overlooking the Corniche and the Mediterranean.

If the opportunity is at Schutz it's probably worth serious consideration. If it is any other school then make sure you do your due diligence and go in with eyes wide open.
GlobalGuy

Post by GlobalGuy »

My wife and I live and teach in Alexandria currently. The school we teach at is excellent. (PM me for more info.)

Alexandria is a bittersweet place to live.If you've lived in a developing country before, you may not find the difficult elements to be that difficult. Here are some big pros and cons...

PROS:

-By the beautiful Mediterranean Sea
-Rich in local culture
-Three decent shopping centers
-INCREDIBLY CHEAP (like... so cheap)
-Nearby beaches
-A nice park (Montazah)
-Great seafood
-Easy access to Cairo via train (first class: US$7!)
-Sporting club for golf, running, and other sports
-An airport with multiple international connections
-Plentiful taxis, a slow but cheap tram system, and now Uber!
-The friendliest, most hospitable people you'll ever meet

CONS:

-There are no longer any truly international schools, as almost the entire expat community is now gone.
-It is almost unavoidable that a foreign woman, no matter how modestly dressed, will be verbally harassed when walking.
-Crumbling city infrastructure
-Frequent flooding
-A cultural ignorance of the concept of personal space
-A generally entitled student population
-A lack of variety of restaurant options
-CRAZY TRAFFIC
-The airport is quite far from the city
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Alexandria is pretty boring , its not Cairo. However you could save a lot since there isnt much to do but get out. Many of the ISs there have a LOT of challenges and frustrations.

Lots of places are by the Med, and you dont need to be in Egypt.
Everywhere is "rich" in local culture, it means hard to navigate.
Three is the key word, that means there are three and pretty much only three places to shop.
Cheap because there isnt much to buy.
There are MUCH better places with near by beaches, Singapore for example.
"A" nice park means there is one park you would maybe actually want to go to.
There are lots of places to get great seafood, my preference is Japan.
Just about everywhere has a sporting club, what they mean is there is ONE athletic/sporting club.
Everyone has an airport
Taxies are everywhere

No they arent the friendliest culture, or else the OP hasnt met many people.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Taxis are everywhere, except when you really really really need one...