Salary advise for FIRST-TIME overseaas teachers

ghoffman

Salary advise for FIRST-TIME overseaas teachers

Post by ghoffman »

We are seasoned teachers (teaching couple-no kids) heading to the recruitment fairs for the first time this coming year. We have no idea how to assess whether a salary offer is going to be adequate for us. We're interested in Asia or the Middle East.

From what I gather based on the other posts, for a teaching couple, given housing or a housing allowance, cost of living adjustment, travel, etc. (in other words the normal perks) we should be able to live on one persons salary during the school year in the host country. That means the other salary would pay for the summer, and any home costs (like US mortgage, student loans, etc.).

I know this is quite variable depending on school, country, etc. but some of you veterans of the overseas lifestyle have a lot of knowledge. Without some advise, we may lose our nerve and decide not to take the plunge.

Thanks very much!
scribe

overseas salary

Post by scribe »

In the Middle East, most decent schools - the American/international nonprofit schools which have been around - will start you probably start you in the low to mid 40s. You can save most of one salary if you are prudent, but costs in many of these places is rising exponentially, a fact their administrators haven't fully addressed. Travel out of the ME is costly, and believe me, you WILL want to get out when given the opportunity.
In China and Japan at similar schools, the salary will be higher. Even with cost of living in Japan, you will do well - in China, you will do well with ease. Japanese schools will be more competitive to get places at, Chinese schools are growing so rapidly that they are doing massive hiring. Also, it's just much cheaper to live there and many schools offer additional perks such as "wellness" allowances of almost $1000 per year for things such as gym membersehips, athletic clothing, or dental and vision costs.
Other places? New Delhi has a wonderful American school - have to be US citizens - with a terrific package, very competitive in terms of gaining a place. Other places in India also have high pay and perhaps easier to get spots - such as Bombay & Mumbai. Dhaka is a hard place to live, but good school and package. Pakistan is likewise dicey, but pay is good and cost of living very reasonable. Same with Nepal. Malaysia and Thailand have big schools in their capitals which pay fairly well and offer an attractive life style, smaller schools along coasts that pay less but less pressure.
Almost all of these schools offer housing as a normal benefit. If housing were merely an allowance in the Middle East, you would be in trouble - it seems to go up by about 30% per year. That being said, we know some who make money off their housing allowance at Singapore American School and still live very comfortably.
Stay clear of proprietary schools and use this site to check out reviews of schools you are interested in, weeding out the bitter comments from those striving to be objective. Look through The International Educator (available online - tieonline.com) and get used to the names of the "good" schools if you aren't familiar with the scene.
The ISS fair in Bangkok in January is an optimal place to get positions in the area you desire. Best of luck!
ichiro

salaries

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beenthere

Post by beenthere »

Bigger salary doesn't always translate into more savings. My wife and I have been at both extremes of the salary scale and in the end I don't believe that we saved that much more at the higher paying school than we did at the lower paying school. The secret is to find the balance between a good salary and a low cost of living. I know that UNI has a box on their school information forms that states a savings potential. I would start with that and work from there.

I would also compare the perks that each school is offering, like the shipping allowance, retirement, health benefits, utilities and transportation. At our last school we were paying 5-600 dollars in utilities and transportation per month while at our new school we are paying $50. This savings adds up very quickly. We were also fortunate at one of our postings to save $200 a month on our housing allowance. This paid for our maid and driver.

In addition, when you get your jobs don't panic the first few months when it appears that all you do is spend, spend, spend and the savings aren't happening. From my experience this is typical and the savings don't kick in for several months.
scotty

a message for scribe or ichiro

Post by scotty »

Hi Scribe or Ichiro, I'm interested in learning some more about various international school postings as I'll be seeking a new postion somewhere at the end of the year/early next year. I was wondering if you could email me back and I can send you a few questions. Thanks, Scotty
<rubico43@hotmail.com>