Contract length

Wanderlust

Contract length

Post by Wanderlust »

Do the majority of international schools work on a two year teacher contract????
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanderlust

Post by Wanderlust »

Thanks for the info. My past experience has been in private schools and contracts were only one year. The whole two years is a bit scary as it can be a long time to be stuck in a place you really dont like. This site is useful for some places, but many schools have no information and it total chance.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chinuk

Post by Chinuk »

My school (small school in China) has an unusually low staff turn-over because it's a great place to work. It only offers 1 year contracts to new teachers because it finds this makes hiring easier (it's hard to compete with the bigger "name brand school" even though the package is pretty good as we're a not-for-profit school). When you're asking people to move to a new culture, not everyone's going to be happy, and why would a school want to keep teachers who aren't happy? Our experience has been that the best teachers stay (5 years is the average) and the ones who aren't happy move on after a year - which is best for everyone.

Oh, and two year contracts are generally offered after the first year, so teachers that want the security can have it (plus a signing bonus).
Wanderlust

Post by Wanderlust »

Thanks for the info... just out of curiosity, how long is a typical principal and director's contract?
Chinuk

Post by Chinuk »

Sorry, I have no information on that.