Thailand, Japan or Taiwan?

sciteach

Re: Thailand, Japan or Taiwan?

Post by sciteach »

You have mail! I'm also the same - so if you reply can you reply here....
damok

Post by damok »

Sciteach. Thanks for the email. That was really helpful. I've sent you through another email.

So I might of jumped the gun a bit with the Chinese school. Although it sounds awesome on paper, the reviews of the school were not good at all. Without going into too many details, it sounds like a bad place to work.

Thank god for this site. The review section has paid for itself already. Thanks to everyone (particularly sciteach) who has responded to this thread and the other one I made. It's great to get advice from people who really know what they are talking about. All this advice has been invaluable in helping me make a very important (and life changing) decision.

Have a great new years everyone!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@damok

All of the ISs on your list at this point are third tier ISs, all of them have problems and what someone else considers a problem (negative) may not be an issue to you. You arent going to find ISs that dont have issues of one type or another at your stage in IE, you dont reach that point until around 5 years in IE. At some point your going to have to decide between social, school, salary as you are not going to find all three, and will likely only get to choose one. The candidate ITs that are unsuccessful in IE are generally in one of two groups. Either they have very limited range restrictions (they only want WE or JP) or they have unrealistic expectations (they are only interested in a top tier IS).

As an exercise you may wish to do an advantages/disadvantages chart for those 4 ISs and assume those are the only 4 offers you get, and you have no appointment to return too (you had to choose) which would it be:

1) The Chinese IS with a strong compensation package and a decent opportunities for a social life but a dreadfully horrible work experience.
2) The BKK IS with a great social and personal life, but dirt poor compensation.
3) The TW IS with the best school/work potential but minimal social opportunities and 'meh' compensation.
4) The JP IS that gets you into Japan but has no significant negatives or positives.

Answering that will greatly help you make the real decision later if and when it comes up. All of them are going to be a struggle and trade off in some aspect.
alwaysadjusting

Post by alwaysadjusting »

@damok I've sent you an email.
alwaysadjusting

Post by alwaysadjusting »

damok wrote:
> Alwaysadjusting:
> Best of luck to you too at the Melbourne Fair. Do you have your heart set
> on anywhere in particular?
>
> If you are going to the drinks on Sunday, I might see you there!

Hi damok, I was at the drinks, hung out with some candidates, sorry I missed you!
Anyway, congrats on your job!