Australia - Provisional to Full Registration

OzGrad

Australia - Provisional to Full Registration

Post by OzGrad »

G'day

So, next year will be my first year teaching and I was lucky to gain a position at a IB school in SEA.

My question is, does anyone have any information on transitioning to full Australian registration without having taught in Australia?

Is it even possible or do you have to teach for a year in Australia?

My provisional registration is good for 5 years.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
sciteach

Re: Australia - Provisional to Full Registration

Post by sciteach »

It really depends on which state you live in. Every state has different expectations. My biggest suggestion is to just call your Teaching Institute and ask them explicitly as they will be able to give you a more specific and accurate answer than anyone on this forum.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

I'm registered in WA, however, it is my understanding that I can apply for full registration in any state.

Basically, I'm hoping there is somewhere in the world where I can apply for full registration once I have a few years experience without having to teach in Australia.

Not sure if you have had much experience communicating with teacher registration in Australia but from my experience they have not been particularly helpful.

Just hoping others may have first hand experience, especially as in regards to international teaching.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

I'm also from Australia and I completed my full registration in Australia as my state does not allow me to become fully registered unless a school overseas uses my states curriculum,

It was also my understanding that most people complete full registration after 1 year - with the help of a mentor. This will be your biggest problem overseas - finding a mentor which is registered for YOUR state. As I mentioned in my previous post - this is for MY STATE and every state in Australia is different.

As WA has a smaller number of teachers, this will also be reflected in your potential accuracy of answers you will receive on this forum. There will not be many WA teachers who became fully registered overseas - as most international schools require 2 years prior experience.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You can not transition to full registration as an IT*. It requires 200 days (FT equivalent) of service in an Australian or New Zealand DS or acceptable service organization (Induction). In addition you must be rated as satisfactory on the APST. Your certification credential will just otherwise expire in 5 years, and you will no longer be a credentialed DT/IT. A number of ITs have found themselves with this problem. This usually isnt as big a problem in IE, as 2 years post certification experience is the standard bar to entry into IE, and allows a candidate to complete any induction requirements.
The Teachers College in the UK will not recognize provisional registration for QTS, nor will DC (USA)recognize a provisional Australian credential for a standard (Level 2) certification, though they may through transcript -. A CAN province may grant you a conditional certificate.

* It is potentially possible to complete your induction at one of the few Australian ISs if they are registered, in these few cases the IS is an overseas branch campus/DS of another parent Australian DS. Though the AIS would have to provide you with a satisfactory evaluation.
Rafaelchick1

Post by Rafaelchick1 »

I am in the same situation as OzGrad, I just finished a grad dip of education and am going to start off international. I asked the TRBWA about what would happen if I stayed away longer than the 3 years we have to transition to full registration in WA. The person I spoke with said that I could extend it another few years but as long as I am away, I can never move to full registration. The guy also said that after that time expires, I could pay the fee every year which is about 84 dollars and fall under non-practising. This does not mean you are no longer credentialed as PsyGuy has stated. It means you are still credentialed but not using the license in WA and this basically allows you to come back and pick up with finding a job without having to restart the application process all over again. This is what I was told a few months ago and as you know with government departments, not everyone seems to agree on everything. But I think it is nearly impossible to transition abroad. Maybe I will call them again after the holidays and ask.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Rafaelchick1

Bunk, it means exactly that. If your certification to practice lapses and you have some credential that is "non-practicing", than you are not professionally licensed to provide instructional services. Your practicing license has expired/lapsed.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Thanks everyone, some food for thought there :)

I thought I read something about qualifying for QTS by assessment only?

As in you teach in the UK for a year and are assessed by their education body.

Also, if you were to switch to admin after 5 years, you do not require a teaching certificate?

Cheers
Rafaelchick1

Post by Rafaelchick1 »

I'm just writing what was specially explained to me by the dept here in WA. A lady told me that they actually don't like the name 'non-practising' because it doesn't mean you are not credentialed. She explained it as pressing pause on your teaching career within WA. Either way, back to the original question...transitioning to full registration might only be possible within WA. The guy I spoke with said something along the lines of "The TRBWA only cares or is concerned about what you do in WA." This was in response to a bunch of grads who were going teach in the UK for a few years before offically starting to teach in WA.
Rafaelchick1

Post by Rafaelchick1 »

@Ozgrad

I was told the same thing. I almost signed a contract to go to UK and I was told that I could transition to their full registration after a year or two. It is possible there but I wanted to go back to Asia first. The recruiter I met at a job fair on campus was really helpful explaining that process.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@OzGrad

The AO route for QTS is moe complex than that. The program is provided by various third . organizations (many of them Unis). They may have more requirements than just the mandatory one. You need to have taught in two schools, pass the numeracy and literacy exam and then be rated satisfactory on the Teacher Standards. You must of course also obtain an appointment.

No, leadership roles are still required to have full registration in a regulated DS. None of the territories (that I am aware of) have distinct credentials for leadership. In AUS teacher registration indicates authorization to provide instructional/educational services in an education setting, it doesnt indicate a particular title or job function. A DS principal is a registered DT who has been appointed to a leadership role.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

The school I will be teaching at does follow the Aust Curriculum so hopefully one of the States will come to the ..

Thanks again everyone for the advice.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Rafaelchick1

Credential has a very specific meaning in IE, it is a document that authorizes the holder to provide instructional services in the regulated schools in the jurisdiction of the issuing regulatory authority. Does it allow you to walk into a classroom in your HOR and teach. A non-practicing registration, does not one of the requirements is that you "are not actively teaching" as soon as you do you must notify the regulatory authority (in WA) and then have two years to transition to another type (full or provisional) registration. I realize your position youve done a lot of work to get a teaching credential and you dont want it to expire or be invalidated, because you cant feasibly meet the requirements of full registration. You are deluding yourself into thinking that the induction period and process doesnt apply to you because your in IE, it does. the WA regulatory authority may not care, and why should they its their problem, you wont be teaching in their DSs, its your problem, because your not credentialed with a non-practicing registration, its not a loop hole to a permanent/life time/non-expiring license. All it does it provide you a pathway back into teaching at a DS without reapplication.
Rafaelchick1

Post by Rafaelchick1 »

@PsyGuy

I think I know what a credential is and I am certainly not deluded about the process. I made the statement about WA only worrying about WA as a way to say that it will be best to handle a transition to full registration within the state of WA since they can't do anything with what you are doing internationally. I have every intention to come back and transition to full registration in 2 to 3 years. I'm not sure why you responded to me the way you did. It seems a bit rude since you don't know me or what I intend to do career wise.

Anywho, I wanted to just respond to OzGrad and he seems to have a plan for his transition. That's all that matters. Best wishes OzGrad.
damok

Post by damok »

I completed my provisional registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching several years ago. I am not an expert on registration but will do my best.

For the VIT, you need to complete a portfolio piece plus some other work that satisfies the principle standards of AUSVELS/VELS and the VIT (or whatever the hell they choose to use each year). You will need to be teaching regularly in order to do this. Substitute teaching won't allow you the time and I also assume that they require a substantial minimum amount of days teaching in order to do this.

You will need a principal/VP who is familiar with AUSVELS and the VIT who has to sign off on your work at the end. You will be presenting your portfolio to them. They will also need to sign off a number of other criteria. Further, you will need a mentor who is currently teaching within your states system and knows AUSVELS and the VIT. They will need to be registered with the VIT.

I really can't see you achieving full registration with an Australian authority without either doing minimum one year of full time work in Australia or through somehow getting work at an international school that has an Australian curriculum. Most international schools require a minimum of two years experience anyway.