eritrea?

2468teacher

eritrea?

Post by 2468teacher »

has anyone worked here? does anyone know about the realities of life here? i have a possible offer and the package is very generous. but why?

thanks in advance
National

Re: eritrea?

Post by National »

Do a little research on Eritrea and you'll see why. The government is horribly repressive and all male citizens are conscripted for life into the military. Its human rights record is considered one of the worst in the world. I don't know how all this would affect an expat teacher...
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I researched Eritrea a few years ago thinking it would be an interesting location, and found that one cannot leave the capital city without getting a permit first! That really spoiled the idea of any spontaneous weekend trips... Perhaps that has changed since then, but do some research. I actually located an expat living there (in what capacity, I don't remember), and he said it wasn't a bad place to live; the permit thing was real, but wasn't too difficult to get.
chuck

Post by chuck »

I know an expat teaching there. The negative reality is really about living a quiet, desolate, blackout burdened life (blackouts all the time, little internet as a result). However, he loves the quiet life, really good italian food and cafes. He says it is safe. Been there 2 years now.
cleanplanet

Post by cleanplanet »

I wouldn't go there. No civilization at all.