New Cairo

tdaley26

New Cairo

Post by tdaley26 »

I have an interview with a school here, any thoughts from those who have lived or worked here?
IAMBOG

Re: New Cairo

Post by IAMBOG »

From where you are now, you will find the students 'spirited' (I'm being polite). The vast majority will be Egyptian. Living accommodation will be more basic and options for going out will be less, once you've got past all the cultural stuff. Your ride to school and back will also be longer.

On the plus side, the weather is great, you'll be less than two hours from the beach (Ain Sokhna - check out the Stella Di Mare Resort). If you have spare cash you will have better access to Europe. We are a European / North American family and found it was great that we could fly to North America and stop off in our European homeland on the way. We could hit all the relatives in one trip.

It is easy to send money home. We had a monthly standing order from Egypt bank to our North American bank, which was dreamy compared to what we have to do in our current country.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

I'd love to hit all my relatives on one trip!!!!!!!!!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

When "getting out" and ease of banking are the main pros/advantages I believe that says a great of what awaits you.
Khalida

Post by Khalida »

Hi tdaley26,

I've been teaching at a great school in New Cairo since August 2014. I love it here! I love my students and yes, some are very spirited, but once they're on your side they love you right back. It's wonderful to walk the corridors and see my last year's students who run up with hugs. I've found the admin and parents to be very kind, understanding, and supportive.

Re compensation, the salary is very good -- I'm banking a significant percentage of it -- and is *always* paid on time. I'm also very pleased with the accommodation allowance, health coverage, PD days, sick/personal leave allowance, etc. I've rented a gorgeous flat very close to the school as I'd rather not commute from Ma'adi.

To be sure there are challenges here, just as there are in every location in the world. Concerning personal security, I feel very safe. It's important to be adaptable and seek to understand the culture. Learn some Egyptian Arabic as well; it will make life easier and endear you to the local population.

Yes, there are many perks to living in Cairo: airfare to African, European, and Middle Eastern destinations is very affordable; utilities are very inexpensive; local food is delicious; there are plenty of options for nightlife and socializing; and the list goes on and on. . . .

Perks are great, but more importantly, I'm here to teach and to do a great job. I look forward to seeing my students every day and continually strive to develop and improve my teaching practice.

Well, after writing all this, I think it's high time I posted a review! Looking forward to doing so before the holidays.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Thanks for the info K.

I will have my interview later today...... wish me luck!!!!
Khalida

Post by Khalida »

Good luck, T., let us know how it goes!