Comparing locations in China - pollution

alwaysadjusting

Comparing locations in China - pollution

Post by alwaysadjusting »

I have researched air quality indices in China. From my experience of visiting in winter, travelling through Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Guangzhou, and a number of 'tier two' and 'tier three' cities, it all seemed a bit grim i.e. polluted air.

If I had to work in China, what would be the least polluted city? From what I gather, Xiamen is amongst the best (least polluted), whereas Beijing amongst the worst. What about Shanghai? Particularly interested in hearing perspectives from those who've lived there more than a year.

When I left China after a three week tour (singing) - mostly in Shanghai, Hangzhou, Guanghzhou - not only I, but most of my fellow singers came away with a persistent cough that wouldn't go away for months. Horrible!
Last edited by alwaysadjusting on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr DepTrai

Re: Comparing locations in China - pollution

Post by Mr DepTrai »

Stay south....the further north you go, the more air pollution, especially during winter.
alwaysadjusting

Mr DepTrai wrote:
> Stay south....the further north you go, the more air pollution, especially
> during winter.

Thanks Mr DepTrai. So, we are looking too at Guangzhou/Shenzhen/HK - any differences in pollution (air, but also water, dust, food) with these? Also, which cities have you actually experienced?
Mr DepTrai

Post by Mr DepTrai »

GZ and BJ...

BJ is much more fun, exciting and convenient.....But GZ is cleaner in the air department
EllieSLP

Post by EllieSLP »

I agree with this. Look more into Shenzhen. I live in Beijing and it's pretty bad in the Winter/Summer.
BRMC

Post by BRMC »

I lived in Shenzhen, and I currently live Guangzhou. The air pollution levels are about the same. There are bad days in both cities, with the AQI going above 200, but most days are "moderate".

You might also want to consider other types of pollution. Shenzhen has more noise pollution than Guangzhou. Building is 24 hours a day in Shenzhen. Building in Guangzhou stops by 10:00 pm. I've been told each city has different laws, but who knows. Perhaps because of this, I think there is more dust pollution in Shenzhen.

Shenzhen also has motorbikes. They are outlawed in Guangzhou. Might not seem like a big deal, but they are VERY annoying and can make your life as a pedestrian a nightmare.
alwaysadjusting

BRMC wrote:
> I lived in Shenzhen, and I currently live Guangzhou. The air pollution
> levels are about the same. There are bad days in both cities, with the AQI
> going above 200, but most days are "moderate".
>
> You might also want to consider other types of pollution. Shenzhen has more
> noise pollution than Guangzhou. Building is 24 hours a day in Shenzhen.
> Building in Guangzhou stops by 10:00 pm. I've been told each city has
> different laws, but who knows. Perhaps because of this, I think there is
> more dust pollution in Shenzhen.
>
> Shenzhen also has motorbikes. They are outlawed in Guangzhou. Might not
> seem like a big deal, but they are VERY annoying and can make your life as
> a pedestrian a nightmare.

Thanks BRMC. 200+, that's bad! Yes, I've read elsewhere that Shenzhen is in a construction boom. Appreciate your insights. How long have you been in Guangzhou? What's the best / worst part of living there, compared to Shenzhen?
BRMC

Post by BRMC »

This is my 3rd year in Guangzhou.I like Guangzhou a lot more than Shenzhen. By Shenzhen, I really mean Shekou, a small section of Shenzhen where many of the expats live and where at least 2 international schools are located. In my opinion, Shekou just feels weird--lots of expats, Chinese tour groups and a land-locked ship that has been turned into a hotel. I know teachers who love Shekou and have been there for 5+ years. It just wasn't for me.

In my opinion, Guangzhou (Canton) has more of a "soul" and is much more "Chinese". Guangzhou has so much history. Shenzhen was a Hakka fishing village in 1985 and now it is a major metropolis and still growing.

Both cities have a lot of great restaurants and easy access to Hong Kong (GZ to HK is a 2-hour train ride) if you need to get away. In addition to the easy access to Hong Kong/Shenzhen from Guangzhou, China Southern is based in GZ and has direct flights all over Asia and beyond. We have flown to Bangkok, Phnom Penh and Siem Reap for 3-day weekends.

The worst things about living in Guangzhou are the usual issues that come up anywhere in China, including Shenzhen. The pollution can get bad, but not as bad as up north and not nearly as often. The spitting is still noticeable, but I think it's much less than even a few years ago. Pushing/not lining up, but again this seems to be decreasing. I think more people speak English in Shekou than Guangzhou if that matters to you.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search!
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Definitely better in the South than the North, but that's not a ringing endorsement. It might be better air, but that doesn't mean it's actually good air. The best air in China is out West, but there really aren't international schools out there as far as I'm aware. Shanghai air is better than BJ, but again, not good. And because the AQI is better in Shanghai, I find people to be far more complacent than those further north: don't own masks, air purifiers for their home or in the schools, etc. So when the AQI in Shanghai goes up, people aren't as equipped to handle it. At least that's my experience.

The air is definitely unhealthy in BJ, but I've never experienced a persistent cough like you spoke of. Could be just my general constitution, or it could be the fact that I own several BluAirs and religiously wear a mask if the AQI gets anywhere near (or above) 200.
sitka

Post by sitka »

There is a dividing line in China between the Qinling mountains and the Huai river. Everything north of that line gets public heat. Everything south gets nothing. In the North, most of this heat comes from small boilers burning coal and piping hot water to residences and buildings - and the burning of this coal causes a significant decrease in air quality. So as a general rule, the North has worse air quality (but the heating is actually quite pleasant).

Once in the North, geography plays a huge role. Coastal cities (Qingdao, Dalian, etc.) tend to have their pollution blow away into the ocean. The air quality is not usually that bad (rising about 200 or 300 only a few times a year). Areas in natural depressions have can sustained terrible air quality (Beijing, Zhengzhou, Shenyang, Haerbin).

I wouldn't let air quality dissuade you from taking a post for a 3 year spell or so - other than a minor sinus infection, I never found it particularly irksome. But over a lifetime it adds up - it is estimated to reduce average life expectancy by about 5 years for someone who lives their entire life there.

YMMV,
Sitka
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It greatly depends how sensitive you are. I know ITs who live in Beijing and dont have an issue with air quality. I also know ITs in Shenzhen who complain about the air quality. A lot depends as much on you as it does the pollutants, and what those pollutants are. Some people are very sensitive to organics like pollen and mold and industrial irritants dont bother them at all.

I loved GZ, Shanghai has a lot more glamor and gloss, but GZ feels more authentic, while still maintaining a lot of modern and western access and conveniences. Its proximity to HK at a fraction of the living cost is very attractive. You can live in GZ and spend weekends in HK.