International Schools in Europe

bagua

International Schools in Europe

Post by bagua »

How do I apply for a job in an international school in Europe?

I am interested in the following countries:

Northern Spain, northern Italy, Switzerland and Austria.

I am Australian/European, hold a dual passport, and currently work in the public system here in Oz.

Thanks in advance.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

There are a number of ways to do this:

- Look on the COIS website under teacher recruitment - teacher vacancies.
cois.org

- You could also register for a job fair with ISS, COIS or Search. You have to register with the organisation first - need references etc.
search-associates.com

- Register with TieOnline - and then search Job Ads. It will cost about $36 for a year.
tieonline.com

- TES is also a possibility. TESjobs.co.uk. Click on International job search.

- You could also write to schools directly but don't expect too many replies unless they are looking for teachers at the time you write.

Note:
- European schools have lots of applicants for each vacancy, so you'll usually be part of a long queue.
- Schools in Italy and Spain don't usually pay too well, you're not going to get rich working there.
- Europe is expensive and many schools don't provide you with accommodation or a flight home, and you may have to pay tax.
- You stand a better chance if you are able to apply for a position now - the rush for jobs is over and most people are already tied into a contract.
- If you're interested think about Eastern Europe. Much lower cost of living, sometimes no tax, usually housing is provided and flights home included. Also all the European centres are a short low-cost flight away.

Hope this helps.