Can Anyone Tell Me About Egypt?

anne1

Can Anyone Tell Me About Egypt?

Post by anne1 »

I have an English friend who has lived in Egypt. She tells me that I should get a teaching job over there. She loved living there and said tht the people are fantastic. Can someone fill me in on Egypt. I would like some advice on schools and which are worth applying to and which to avoid. I am flexible and do not have to live in an urban area such as Cairo. The country would be okay too (I think).
Thanks!
mishmumkin

Post by mishmumkin »

Hi Anne:

Are you a qualified teacher? Cairo will present the best teaching opportunities. For a qualified America teacher, Cairo American College (don't let the name fool you) is the best school in terms of package, conditions, etc. There are other schools out there with good wages, but if I wanted 'the best' this would be the school. WHat you experience and qualifications are in factor into what other schools you should consider.
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

I agree; Cairo American College is the best option. I have heard varying degrees of horror from the rest. I cannot speak to all of them, but...

I have worked in an ESOL school, albeit not in Cairo, and yes, they do have problems, although perhaps not to the extent stated here. I do not know if AIS, MISR American, or any of the other second tier schools are better or worse than Narmer American College, I can only speak for Narmer.

Or perhaps I should let Narmer speak for itself.

Of the 25 foreign hires last year, fifteen were brand-new to the school. Of those fifteen, 2 chose to fulfil the second year of their contract voluntarily. A third person has a spouse in their second year of grad school at AUC. Of the twelve that left, only three completed their first year. Of the 10 people who worked for the school previously, two chose to return voluntarily. The other is married to the Superintendent. So of the 25 total foreign hires last year, five chose to return to the school of their own free will without any outside influences.

I could go one, but isn't that enough?
scribe

another option in Egypt

Post by scribe »

Schultz American School in Alexandria also has a decent reputation - is smaller, not as well paying as CAC perhaps, but a reputable place and an interesting location, not as polluted.
mishmumkin

Post by mishmumkin »

I think Misr American and AIS (american international school) tend to be pretty decent gigs...not without their issues, of course. The biggest problem many foreign teachers experience is understanding the Egyptian style of management. Flexibility is key to be happy in most of the schools. If you embrace conflict with, "This would never happen in my school in ___" then it will be a rough ride.

I think AIS has a larger staff overall, and would be more inclined to hire. I have a friend at Misr American College, but I don't know what their size is like. Modern English is a good school w/ an American side. El Alsson is ok, though the best salary (it is british curric. but i would still suggest americans apply). Same for New Cairo British School....I would try applying if you're american. There are other new schools out there w/ good packages. New Visions located in "Beverly Hills" within 6th of October City: I suggested a few friends apply there. Both were offered jobs. One of them accepted the offer and sent an email asking questions, yet received no word. They rescinded the offer, explaining they gave it to a teacher who was already in Cairo. TOTALLY unprofessional, but these are the growing pains of a new school. Continental school staff seem reasonalby happy, too.