any advice for extra luggage/containers?

aasoudesuka

any advice for extra luggage/containers?

Post by aasoudesuka »

My new school in Kuwait informed me that shipping belongings was very inconvenient because it can be held up in customs for months. Instead of an allowance for shipping, they are willing to pay for extra luggage. Should I just use plain old cardboard boxes? I would buy old used suitcases, but I don't have the time to go searching for them. The big buckle & lock travel chests that were popular many years ago are not even on the market these days. At any rate, it looks as though I will not be traveling light this time.
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

use the big plastic containers. also call the airport and try to check in up to a day early if possible. that way you can send them as cargo and that is a lot cheaper than as extra baggage.

as for customs in kuwait: it is run by thieves. you will lose a lot of stuff shipping either that way or through the post office.
aasoudesuka

Post by aasoudesuka »

Thanks, Jeff - very helpful, especially the suggestion about early drop-off as cargo... but I don't know what you mean when you say "the big plastic containers." The only big plastic containers I can think of are those clear plastic storage bins they sell at Wal-Mart and the like, which might be wound up in duck tape, but would certainly bust apart given normal airline treatment. Can you tell me more about the containers you're referring to? Thanks!
guestwriter

shipping

Post by guestwriter »

If you are flying out of the US, the maximum weight is 75 pounds and they are pretty lenient if you go over the amount, or at least they used to be. U-Haul boxes are great. Find out the dimensions allowed by your airline; I used to get the biggest boxes allowed, which were huge and pack my suitcases inside them. It was by far the cheapest way to ship as I was allowed 2 for checked baggage and then could pay excess baggage if needed. There is no waiting around or making a 2nd trip to collect cargo baggage, either!

If you are flying out of the UK or Europe, cargo would be a better option as they are very restrictive on checked pieces.
zackandedie

Post by zackandedie »

Back in 96 when we relocated to Kuwait we used a local UK company and they did all the packing pick up and delivery in kuwait and we received all the boxes ok at the other end with no probs i think the customs in Kuwait go more for videos in the old days, cds now a days i guess but all we took was personal things such frames with pics, children fav toys even a huge tv which was a waste of money as the electronics there are much cheaper than Europe.
It is expensive but as longer the company pays for relocation i would highly recommend to use a reputable shipping company.
miski

Post by miski »

Sometimes schools offer a shipping allowance. You could send things as unaccompanied luggage and it might not be too expensive. I haven't heard of things being held up for too long at customs- perhaps the school just don't want to pay out an allowance to you ?

The advice given is good- don't bother bringing electrics-cheap here
( take off 1/3 tax and that is about the price ), furniture is cheap too ( depending what you want), clothes are around the same price as they are in the UK give or take a couple of pounds. Tys fr kids are for nothing- two electric/battery run full size kids cars cost me 50KD ( about £100) and when I priced one in the UK in Argos it was nearly £200!!!

Travel light and only bring essentials!!
beenthere

Post by beenthere »

We have tried a number of options and each has their own advantages and disadvantages. This time we are going with rubbermaid containers, the soft sided variety (we have had rigid plastic containers shatter on us in transit), but in the past we have tried cardboard boxes and plain, old luggage. The secret is in matching volume with weight because you don't want to have a too big a container that you can't fill because it would then be overweight. Conversely filling a container to 3/4 allowable weight wouldn't be efficient either. Our hope is that we can use the rubbermaid containers in our apartment, rather than simply storing bags. Cardboard boxes worked well in the past because they were collapsable and could be easily stored when not in use. Luggage is good because it can be used in other situations, who wants to take a storage container on their next holiday? Of course then there is the choice between "hard sided" luggage and duffle type bags, one collapses and one doesn't. Who would know there were so many decisions to be made around how you take your stuff with you.