Teacher banned in the UK-some support ISR?

miski

Teacher banned in the UK-some support ISR?

Post by miski »

I'd like to see the ISR call for the reinstatement of the UK teacher recently banned for videoing badly behaved students in an attempt to highlight the problem in the classroom.

Instead of calling for teachers to boycott a country their representatives have probably never even visited ( ie Kuwait / Katherine Philips) , it might be nice to give this lady-a long standing teacher who had the good of her well behaved students and her profession in mind- some support.
Last edited by miski on Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
da3boyzs

Post by da3boyzs »

Really Miski, why does the Katherine Phillips ordeal bother you so much? It's not the first time the Kuwait goverment handled something poorly and it surely won't be the last. Does your goverment really define you? Try being from the US, with Baba George in charge. Sometimes I feel the need to go around apologizing for his stupidity. My goverment does not define me, yours shouldn't define you.
heftyjefty

Post by heftyjefty »

[quote="da3boyzs"] Try being from the US, with Baba George in charge. Sometimes I feel the need to go around apologizing for his stupidity. My goverment does not define me, yours shouldn't define you.[/quote]

Really. Do you have to spew your political rhetoric on this forum? There are plenty of forums out there for you to do that type of thing ad nauseum. Why do you insist on repeating what the eurotrash say?
da3boyzs

Post by da3boyzs »

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed an opinion.
miski

Post by miski »

The point ( obviously lost in trans-Atlantic translation) was that the ISR should be voicing some support for this UK banned teacher.
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

perhaps the isr shouldn't be voicing concerns for any teacher. overseas teachers aren't unionized so we really don't need someone telling us where we should work. should i work in myanmar, under the new thai military regime, or in china? there are human rights abuses everywhere. sometimes teachers get the short end of the stick overseas. blah blah blah. go back to your 34 students in a classroom, full of crack babies and overpaid administrators who need to justify their existance by piling on the paperwork, if you want to, but i will be staying overseas, thank you very much. if some teachers does something stupid while living overseas, deal with it.
worldbillme

Post by worldbillme »

[quote="miski"] the ISR should be voicing some support for this UK banned teacher.[/quote]

Says who? Why don't you find a job for the summer miski? i'll bet you are one hell of a teacher for your kuwaiti brethern.
miski

Post by miski »

Wordbile :

I don't need a job for the summer ..............i come from affluent Kuwait.........and you are offensive.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miski

Post by miski »

ICHIRO...........did you ever learn about the terms sarcasm......irony.....etc .......in Uni/college/life ?
da3boyzs

Post by da3boyzs »

Miski, you're out of your league. Nothing was lost in translation believe me. You're the one stuck in the bowels of hell, not me. By the way regarding comments made about teaching salaries. No one is going to get rich on a teaching salary in Kuwait. I realize by previous post yoou're so afraid someone is going to get something you don't.
miski

Post by miski »

[quote="da3boyzs"]Miski, you're out of your league. Nothing was lost in translation believe me. You're the one stuck in the bowels of hell, not me. By the way regarding comments made about teaching salaries. No one is going to get rich on a teaching salary in Kuwait. I realize by previous post yoou're so afraid someone is going to get something you don't.[/quote]

I'm not in any league to be out of ( except the Premier perhaps).Doubtless it was just the sarcasm that was lost in translation. Stuck in the bowels of hell.....don't think so, you see we all have free medical care, our drug addicts stay off the street, our old people aren't mugged for $4.00 on the streets, and our President/Prime Minister hasn't recently taken our country to war with a way above average of young men dying for , let's face it ,nothing, every day.

Bowels of heaven perhaps : I live in a $1,000,000 house near the beach, have a choice of four 5star hotels within 15 minutes of my house to drink a coffee at, I can have a pedicure and manicure for $12 not $50 and about 30 different restaurants are within walking distance should I feel peckish. I have free phone calls and can fill my GMC SUV for $15, drinking water to my house is free two days a week and the electricity bill never gets above 4 figures per year. The temperature average all year round is 20+ and we don't have hurricanes, tornadoes or floods ( except about 8 years ago),occasionally we get hail stones and that's quite fun. I can retire after 20 years teaching on a full pension ( I can take a lump sum or continue to collect my salary each month). As a citizen of the country I get an extra $720 from the government simply for working in the private sector. All public schools are free and when my kids decide to go to university, that too is ALL free. If I should require a hip transplant and it can't be done here, the government will send me, my husband and kids to the Mayo clinic in the US for free, pay us $300 per day expenses each and I will continue to receive my salary at home........I could go on but then you would say I was in the bowels of dream world.....it's all true for a citizen of Kuwait ( and some true for visa holders).

But ah, I can't buy a pint at my local and perhaps for some desperate people that might make Kuwait a living hell'- fortunately I am not substance dependent.
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

sister, can you spare a dinar?

actually anyone who thinks kuwait is hell is fooling themselves. okay, it is not perfect. the govt. gives people like minski way too much money for doing nothing, while they dump raw sewage into the ocean off the nicest parts of town. but hey, it is there country. minski seemed to have married wisely. one wonders how she can pay back the loan on the house, but hey, i am sure there will be another govt. amnesty on loans any day now (the natives are getting restless and need to spend more money).

the communications is good here. way too much tv to choose from, three pretty good english language newspapers on a daily basis, about a billion starbucks, and fewer mcdonalds than you'd think. culture? i find it everyday in the yogurt (my apologies to woody allen). you can even get bagels and cream cheese (but all of the cute israeli girls have left; but we have the lebanese).

i stay because the parents are really supportive, the kids are mostly great, and i love teaching at my school. i get to travel a lot and see the world, while actually saving a bit of money. i don't tutor much, but if i want to i can make a small fortune.

plus the weather is usually lovely. from october to april i can walk along the gulf and enjoy the nice breezes while trying to avoid the fecal smell, but hey is life perfect?

i have taught in far worse places (my own country included). i will leave here someday --(and still look back on kuwait fondly)--since all of the good women are shacking up with kuwaiti men and i have no millions to throw around sillily.

but, sister, back to that dinar?
miski

Post by miski »

JeffofA you are very cynical. Marrying wisely has nothing to do with anything. Most Kuwaitis only earn about as much as we teachers do.The government looks after their citizens well, no crime in that, and I don't 'do nothing' but work a 40 hour week, 25 hour teaching week, (+ cover when necessary) teaching a class of 30 kids.

I have never seen any more 'raw sewage' off the coast here as I have in the Med or the Adriatic......
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

you are right about the raw sewage in europe but there the citizens don't get a ton of money for doing nothing. you make a salary for doing something. you get extra money for having a certain type of passport. the government should cut back on subsidies, cancel all debt payments and fix the sewers. kuwait can afford that. also fix the electricity. how can a country so rich in oil have its power go out? again, the govt. wastes its money.

i am glad it helps you and all other kuwaitis, but it really should help the country as well. i like it here, but read the paper and see how far behind the rest of the gulf kuwait is slipping. kuwaitis can do better.