Thinking of moving to Dubai

almondroca

Thinking of moving to Dubai

Post by almondroca »

I am graduating from college soon and would like to teach in Dubai. I grew up there and left that country as a very young child and came to the US. I loved Dubai and really like the idea of working in a multi-cultural, cosmopolitan atmostphere. No place is perfect as I'm sure. I want a break from college. My idea is to teach a year or two abroad and then take the experience back home. I just have a few questions and would like to hear from you, especially those have been there and done that.

1, How are young single women treated there? I am in my mid 20's. I am not entirely alone. I still have extended family members and old family friends who still live there. They havent seen me since I was a little girl. But as far as living alone, how is it? As opposed to being married or older? Does age discrimination exist?

2, It sounds like the justice system is a little more reliable than Kuwait, Oman and surrounding areas? I am researching about local laws and things like that. Does anyone know sites that talk about it...or if anyone here has experience, could you tell me about it? I am fully aware that foreign teachers running into problems are not a daily occurence. At the same time, I realize things are different.

3, I am looking into the British or American International schools. I would be more familiar with American school systems. If there are anyone with experience on this board, could you tell me how it was.

4, My subject areas are ESL and English. I notice many of the job postings mention "must be a native speaker" I dont mean to offend anyone with this. But, is that a euphemism for "must be blond-haired, blue eyed etc..." ? I am originally from India but left that country as an infant. I spoke English most of my life and grew up in the US. I did most of my schooling here in the US. I speak English fluently and just as good as a native speaker. I used to work as a receptionist and most people never connected my face to the voice on the phone they hear. I know how this sounds but could I still apply in those schools and be considered?

5, I am also trying to see if I can network somehow. Especially abroad, it sounds like knowing the right people can make a difference.

So, hope this starts a conversation...
Umm Rashid

Right from Dubai:

Post by Umm Rashid »

Hi there,
you can google www.expatwomen.com and join the Dubai forum.
Also see www.dubaichronicle.com
From a personal experience, I can advise you to stay a way from all ESOL schools: Deira International School and Universal American School.
A good American school is Dubai American Academy
Good Luck