Al-Bayan Bilingual School

guestwriter

Al-Bayan Bilingual School

Post by guestwriter »

I hope everyone saw the message from the assistant principal at the Al-Bayan Bilingual School in Kuwait who is being detained and fears her safety. I pray that she will be able to leave the country.

I wonder what Brian Mccauley, the Director of this school has done to help her?
zackandedie

Post by zackandedie »

:cry:

It's a disgrace for something like this to happen to someone whom simply was doing her job but that's KUWAIT for you folks way behind civilization i have been there and have seen a lot, i hope all the teaching staff all over kuwait will protest for her freedom
kathryn3

al bayan school

Post by kathryn3 »

I hope things are resolved quickly in Kuwait. I have my doubts, though. Over the years I have read of many situations where our embassies feel their hands are tied because we have no power in another country. You go to their country and find out that you are subject to their laws, or their interpretations.
I review the web site frequently, and find it fascinating. I have wanted to teach overseas, but because of the unjust treatment of teachers in many of the countries, I have yet to do so.
Here in the US we have a union we can go to.
I'm very appreciative of ISR. Before them, the schools got away with everything without others knowing. Now we can be warned.
Kathryn 3
solarhamster

contacting the press

Post by solarhamster »

This is a terrible situation! I can't believe the US embassy is that lame..I suggest that the principal contact the press (BBC)or CNN to investigate this injustice. Perhaps teachers can get the word out. BTW, we are planning a move to Kuwait--I will uphold my contract, but after hearing this, I'm really concerned.
kathryn3

kuwait

Post by kathryn3 »

Why on earth are you planning to move there after reading about this situation?? Is it not enough to be warned? Do you think you are immune to injustice? It makes me think of the lamb being lead to the slaughter.
Kathryn 3
zackandedie

Post by zackandedie »

It can happen to anyone and unless the whole world protests this incident it will repeat itself
saw this blog not sure if here already but details of the culprit is listed shame on him what an example for his children and his nation

www.248am.com :cry:
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miski

Post by miski »

As educators in Kuwait we were informed about three years ago about the law relating to excluding children ( after a feisty child was excluded and there was an uproar). Children are not to be taught in isolation as a punishment, sent out of the room as a punishment and , of course, beaten in any way ( much the same as our law in the UK in fact ).

As vice principal of a school , this lady should have been aware of the law, she should also have known that the 'guidebook' of the school was not written by the Ministry of Education and should have been taken with a pinch of salt.

I have taught in Kuwait for 16 years, without hassle and have come across many expats who take the money and despise the culture- my message is 'we don't really need you, and we certainly don't need you teaching our children.'

If she broke the law, then she has to pay the price.

It is ironic that an American sits in Kuwait, earning , presumably upwards of 800KD ( $2400) per month in paid for accomdation, WITH access to media, telephone, legal representation and her Embassy (however inept they seem to be) and complains.......does she remember what her own government are doing in GUANTANAMO ?
missy

Post by missy »

Hope it all gets resolved soon.
Last edited by missy on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kathryn3

Post by kathryn3 »

What would be the other side of the issue that would disallow her from leaving the country? And why do you say that she earned a salary that somehow was not justified ( or you imply that). It does not seem that the salary is so large that she should be expected to give up her right to leave the country. Did she not do her job? And how on earth did Guantanamo get injected into the misbehavior of a child in an educational setting? That is silly. I understand your disapproval of the President. I am appaled by his policies. But that has absolutely nothing to do with a child misbehaving in an educastional setting, at a school his parents have placed him in. You say the asst principal should have known. The parents should have known. I'm sure they were given information as to the disciplinary actions the school takes. If he didn't like it, he could have taken his child elsewhere, instead of throwing his weight around and scaring someone who has invested time and a career into teaching children in a culture that apparently disrespects those that lack the power to be regarded with respect. Shame on the parent. It is too bad we protected his county from invasion in the past.
Kathryn3
heftyjefty

Post by heftyjefty »

[quote="missy"][b]I have taught in Kuwait for 16 years, without hassle and have come across many expats who take the money and despise the culture- my message is 'we don't really need you, and we certainly don't need you teaching our children.'

It is ironic that an American sits in Kuwait, earning , presumably upwards of 800KD ( $2400) per month in paid for accomdation, WITH access to media, telephone, legal representation and her Embassy (however inept they seem to be) and complains.......does she remember what her own government are doing in GUANTANAMO ?[/b][/quote]

Oh, I get it. Because you think detaining suspects in Guantanamo is "wrong" (even though you know nothing about the whats or whys of it all) this woman should pay the same price. She should bend over and take it saying, "Damn that George Bush, he is the one REALLY doing this to me! Thank god the Kuwaitis are such a kind and generous people for not having killed me already!"

Tool alert!
missy

Post by missy »

[quote="heftyjefty"][quote="missy"][b]I have taught in Kuwait for 16 years, without hassle and have come across many expats who take the money and despise the culture- my message is 'we don't really need you, and we certainly don't need you teaching our children.'

Umm...... just to set the record straight in this forum...I was NOT the one to make that comment...that was "miski"......
jaapolanco

hard to be objective

Post by jaapolanco »

I truly hope the VP from BBS is permitted to leave the country. But it is often hard to remain objective when you hear stories such as these. For every horror story about a school I could probably provide a dozen regarding the unprofessional and down right obcene behavior of many teachers. Please remember there are always two sides to every story. In the end the ones that are hurt the most are the kids.
kathryn3

Post by kathryn3 »

Oh please!
You're observation of others has nothing to do with this situation.
Whatever the situation, it could not warrant her not being allowed to leave the country.
And it seems the asst principal is suffering in this situation, not the kids.
jaapolanco

Post by jaapolanco »

You were not there and neither was I. But I know that teachers will do anything when they are accused of doing somthing wrong, even lie. If you have not heard both sides of the story you don't really know the truth. I have been on the other end of a teacher's lies. I pray with every fiber of my being that the let her go TODAY!!!! But comments on this forum and others suggest this is an everday occurance in Kuwait and tht is simply not true.