International Kindergarten vs. International School

lunarium

International Kindergarten vs. International School

Post by lunarium »

Hello,

Newbie to the IS circuit and in need of some advice, please. I have two offers and wanting to know which experience would make me look more marketable in the future:

School A: [[International Kindergarten]]
-Age 2 through 3rd grade
-IB school
-PYP training
-I would be teaching 3 year olds
-Previous teachers have told me they have enjoyed their time there.
-Package is satisfactory for first year IS teacher
-Teaching 5 days a week

School B: [[International School]]
-Preschool through 5th
-IB school
-PYP training
-I would be teaching Preschool, Kindergarten or 1st.
-Package is satisfactory for first year IS teacher
-Teaching 6 days a week
-Previous teachers have told me to avoid

My gut tells me to sign with School A but my resume says School B...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

What do you want to do? Do you want to be an EC (Kinder/Nursery) IT or do you want to teach year 1+ primary?

Other ITs have told you too avoid school B, but you may be one of those people that goes against the grain and really like school B.
The only other difference as youve described is that school B has a longer work week (6 days as opposed to 5). Are these 6 days shorter days?

You asked which would have better marketability in the future and thats school B.
lunarium

Re: International Kindergarten vs. International School

Post by lunarium »

Thanks for your reply!

"What do you want to do? Do you want to be an EC (Kinder/Nursery) IT or do you want to teach year 1+ primary?"

I don't mind either since it will be my first year. I just really want the PYP experience. But eventually I would want to teach 1+ primary in the future.

"Are these 6 days shorter days?"

Yes, 3 hours + 30 saturdays throughout the year.

"You asked which would have better marketability in the future and thats school B."

Would it give me that much more marketability? Or just only slightly?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@lunarium

It depends on the grade, if you teach kinder or nursery it will still be more marketable as you will have exposure in how the PYP program as a whole works within a primary school. If you teach year 1 it will significantly increase your marketability in the future as you pursue PYP. Being at an IB Kindergarten is going to handicap your marketability compared to being at a traditional PYP world school.
In addition, assuming this is a two year contract you have the opportunity to move up to a higher more marketable grade in your second year, giving you experience in 2 grades, and more marketable grades. If youre at a kindergarten all you have the opportunity to teach is kinder.