Canadian/Overseas Experience?

markholmes

Canadian/Overseas Experience?

Post by markholmes »

I read on job ads that lots of schools require two years experience. I completely understand why this is. Whilst I want to teach overseas, I want to make sure that I have what most schools require.

I have a question to ask of Canadian teachers. I am doing my teaching qualification in BC specifically for the purposes of applying to international schools. It was/is my intention to do two years post qualification teaching in Canada before applying for international positions, however, given that there is no NQT year in Canada and the likelihood is that I will only actually be a TOC/sub for the first two years and not get a full time job, is there actually any point staying in Canada post-grad?

One Canadian poster on TES suggested that it would be possible to find a reasonable overseas post for my wife and myself without the two years experience(she will also be doing her teaching qualification at the same time as me)? Does TOC actually count as 'real' experience or would we be better going overseas to get full time classroom experience?

Our last concern (but definitely high on our list of priorities) is that by the time we are ready to move overseas our daughter will be ready to start grade one, so we would have to be confident that our daughter was getting a reasonable education in our chosen school.

Both of us have lived outside our respective home countries for ten years plus, we both have four year ESL experience in Japan and Taiwan and we both studied at university in China for a year. I'm not sure if that makes any difference to my question or not.

Thanks in advance
Chinuk

A fellow Canadian

Post by Chinuk »

I also had to make the same decision when I graduated from UVic, and as a single mom with 2 kids (I came to teaching as a second career) I just couldn't see TOCing for 2 years before getting into a steady job. My solution was to teach in China and it's been the BEST decision I ever made. Yes, there are great jobs available even for teachers without 2 years experience. My school has hired one or two teachers straight from Teachers' College and have been happy with them. I suggest sticking to the smaller schools, who have trouble competing with the "big guys".

Also depends what subject you and your spouse teach. If its math, science or IT, you've got it made! A willingness to coach or be involved in a club (I coach volleyball, basketball and am an MUN director), it makes you much more attractive.

Even as a single mother, I can save 40% of my salary, and we still go on vacations once or twice a year, eat out 3 or 4 times a week, and have a comfortable 4 bedroom apartment.

What are you waiting for!