Entering a country to work on a tourist visa?

jstwatchin

Entering a country to work on a tourist visa?

Post by jstwatchin »

Ok, I'm not suggesting actually going to work on a tourist visa - though I am well aware that there are schools who expect even that - , what I am trying to explore is how common it is to enter the country on a tourist visa and then convert to a proper work visa while already in the country.

Each country has their own procedures in how issuing work permits is handled. Up to now I thought that documents are usually processed by the receiving country's consulate ahead of time. I have recently been told by more than one school that this is not so - paperwork must be processed after arrival. Any thoughts on this? If you have experienced this as well, which country?
vandsmith

Re: Entering a country to work on a tourist visa?

Post by vandsmith »

every country i've worked in has worked to get me the visa beforehand. in fact, they were waiting for me at immigration.

after you get in-country, there may be a few other things you need to do before it gets into your passport though.

i suppose it could be different for other countries, but i've not had that experience.

v.
Micky

Post by Micky »

It depends largely on which country. Kazakhstan, Vietnam and China are three countries that I have entered in with a tourist or business visa and then had a work visa issued while there. With Kazakhstan and China I had to leave and go to their embassy in another country. In Vietnam it was issued without ever having to leave. In all three of these countries rules change frequently so it might not be the same anymore. In other countries I have no direct experience so will leave it to someone that has.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

My personal opinion - if they want me there, they will either: (a) get me the visa, or: (b) reimburse me for the visa cost after they have arranged for it to be waiting at the embassy to go in my passport.

Other's opinions may vary, but I would not like working in a country illegally, which is what you are doing even if your school says it is ok. Makes me wonder what other corners are they cutting that could come back to bite?

shad
Hettie

Post by Hettie »

For some countries you can only get a work/residents' visa when you are physically in the country. Therefore you may have to enter on a tourist visa with the school converting that for you when you are in the country. Others can be processed before arrival.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The technical answer is "no" every country's immigration laws allow for securing a work visa (or visa other than tourist) before entering the country, as a practical matter though it depends on the country. For some its just a time restraint (it takes about 3 months to get a COE in JP), which ultimately requires a visa run. For some countries the process is split between obtaining a work permit and a work visa. The permit allows you to work (which you can only get in country), and the visa allows you to enter the country and apply for permission to work (the work permit). For some schools they have better relationships with their local immigration officers than they do with the national or central office which may be in a city quite some distance away (such as schools in China).

The issue for ITs is one of trust. There are teachers who never get their work visa or work permit and they are essentially working illegally and their employer knows it, which makes it easy to get rid of them. It also provides fantastic leverage to renegotiate a contract. There are also places like the Kingdom where despite being illegal will demand to hold your passport for you, though you require an exit visa to leave the country, which can not generally be secured without your employers consent (ME = horrible). A further issue is that you are essentially working illegally while waiting for a visa or permit while in country. This could have serious legal problems, if your employer or other government office wanted to make an issue of it. You should also understand that while waiting for a visa or permit you are essentially on probation and the schools contract with you likely includes a clause that nullifys the contract if a visa/permit isnt secured or issued. This means you are essentially on probation until your work documents become available.

While this process and issue isnt uncommon, an IT should seriously consider the cause for this course of action by a school and the potential ramifications and consequences, most of the time everything works out fine, some of the times it doesnt and it goes very very bad.