Shipping Books and Print Material

mamanaia

Shipping Books and Print Material

Post by mamanaia »

I just wanted to share my experiences because as teachers we want to find the best and least expensive way to move from country to another.

I am mailing my books and printed material through international M-Bags. There is a reduced rate on shipping this type of material if it is all going to one person at one address. Material is put into an M-Bag up to 30kg. You can then choose to ship either by air or for cheaper by surface. This service is available from North America, Europe and Australia. It may be available elsewhere.

Now the reason I'm posting is not just to make people aware that they can reduce costs by mailing books (and only shipping or taking our personal belongings as excess baggage), but to also let you know to be prepared.

I had a great deal of trouble finding the canvas M-Bags to mail with. In the U.S., the post office provides these. Here in Germany (or at least Berlin) where I'm living, they offer the M-Bag service, but not the M-Bags. I was told I could use any type of canvas/cotton, hemp/jute or linen bag that could hold the weight of the books. I don't know if this is the same in every country. I got lucky because my school had about 8 M-bags in storage and let me take them.

My suggestion is once you find the bags and your shipment has arrived at your destination, store the bags for future use - just in case.
Chinuk

Thanks!

Post by Chinuk »

This is VERY helpful information, and I will share it with the staff at my school. I don't think anyone here has heard of it (we have teachers from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and US mostly).
beenthere

Post by beenthere »

The USPS no longer does M-bags.
Chinuk

Post by Chinuk »

Two US colleagues have just sent stuff to China with M-bags (arrived safely) so obviously the USPS is still doing this. However, from the US they no longer provide the service by sea, only air. Does anyone have any more recent information about M-bags from other locations?
rwalrath

M-Bags info from USPS web site

Post by rwalrath »

visit this link http://www.usps.com/ratecase/intlrates/ ... .1.10.html to see the rates for USPS M-Bags... and this link talks about changes (as of jan/feb 07, so they're already in effect) http://www.usps.com/mailpro/2007/janfeb/page4.htm
ate ja!
rich