Central and East Europe

martalin

Central and East Europe

Post by martalin »

Hello,

I have read various topics that suggest how difficult it is to land a position in Europe without an EU passport. Does this hold true for Europe in its entirety?

Specifically I am looking at Austria, Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Poland, and Hungary.

Any information is appreciated, especially if it is a result of direct experience.

Thanks.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Central and East Europe

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi. Having an EU passport would be an advantage but it certainly should not be a deal breaker. None of the schools that I have seen have it as a requirement for candidates and only only one or two even mention it as an advantage (Bulgaria was one I think). It makes it easier for schools but schools in those areas have significant numbers of teachers from outside the EU so it can't be too much of a hardship for schools to hire non-EU citizens.

This is based on my experience of interviewing with EU schools, being offered jobs by EU schools and by reading generally reliable source materials. When in doubt, check the school website. If it doesn't say only EU passport holders need apply, then go for it.
twimih

Post by twimih »

wrldtrvlr123 gives good advice here. My experience has been the same. I've worked in Europe at an IS and it was not an issue. Recently I checked out a European IS that stated they would not consider anyone with an EU passport. No one else (that I've seen) seems to care. It might be that a bilingual public school would prefer EU citizens, or maybe a school so poor they cannot afford the paperwork and/or labor required to get the work visa. So yes, check the website of the school you're interested in, but don't assume it's a problem all over.
darwin

Post by darwin »

As someone who has worked in C. and E. Europe for the better part of 15 years in 3 different schools, I can tell you that many international schools do not require an EU passport. Check out the CEESA schools (Ceesa.org). A couple of top tier schools in that group and all employ teachers from all over the world.
At this point, I wouldn't even consider a move out of this region. Solid pay with the ability to save, travel, and live in a beautiful country.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

I agree with Darwin. We are a teaching couple with one EU and one USA passport. Recently, a job opportunity turned out to be a dead end because we were not both USA passport holders. There are definitely solid schools that recruit americans.
sid

Post by sid »

Every country is different, and within those schools can be different. Cheery's experience illustrates the reality that individual schools have often negotiated special legal/tax deals with the authorities, so they can only take on certain nationalities.
So we all have places we can and cannot go, and woe to the Cheerys of the world whose lists are limited even further through injudicious choice of spouse's passport.
Sorry Cheery.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

-SIGH- we all have our crosses to bear......
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Not across all of Europe, mostly WE and specifically regions in Spain, Italy, France, Switzerland, etc. Austria and Poland are the only ones on your list your going to have a problem in. The issue with EE schools is that thee are so few of them, in a region. They are likely to only have 1 or 2 ISs that recruit internationally and then everything else is local hires only.

I divert from the previous contributers, the issue is that upper tier schools have no problem or issue recruiting ITs because they are usually set up as special tax entities. Drop down to mid tier and lower schools and they either cant or wont sponsor a work visa meaning EU passport holders only. The labor/union rules and laws have long lead times in which they must advertise a position and the expense of hiringa foreignor makes it very difficult.
If you really want to work in one of those regions and your not a rock star IT yet an EU passport will greatly open doors for you.