International

Ottoman

Schools in Istanbul

Post by Ottoman »

There is no doubt that Istanbul has a "checkered past" in regard to international schools. One only needs to read the long list of horrendous, nightmare stories on this review about contracts being ignored and salaries not being paid.

Part of the problem has been the reality that most of them are run and operated by small business entrepreneurs who have nothing to do with education and who see international education as a means of making a better profit margin than alternative businesses.

The second part of the problem is that when democracy returned to Turkey after a brief military take over in 1981, most of the labour laws that had been temporarily withdrawn, never returned. Which means that there are few laws that protect teachers and workers today.

Given that reality, there are a few good schools in Istanbul. The American school is quite respectable but physically quite isolated in the western corner of the city. Istek is excellent although they are officially not an international school, but a Turkish billingual school. Bilkent Preparatory School is quite well run but they are based in Ankara and are linked to the university in the capital.

All in all, you need to be careful wherever you go, but Turkey is such a nice place that you will soon forget your problems and learn to adapt.
jonbonjon

MEFIS

Post by jonbonjon »

I worked two years in MEFIS between 2004-2006. It may not be the best school in Turkey, but a peaceful environment especially in primary school following an authorised PYP curriculum. Primary head, John Burns is leaving at the end of this school year, but the staff are highly qualified, and the school has become an established good school over the lest 5 years. Thanks to J. Potter's efforts.

National schools in Istanbul become challenging starting from middle school up because of the level entrance exams. There is a bunch of very good schools that follow PYP curriculum, Koc, SEV, Irmak, Anafen, HEV, etc...Almost all equipped with latest technology and other educational materials, do not worry about that. Besides you can always have a visit and see the environment yourself.

If you have more specific questions, do not hesitate to write me, I can put you in contact with some teachers in MEFIS who will be honest with you.

As a Bogazici graduate, I never knew IICS was located in RC campus.
jonbonjon

Contacts

Post by jonbonjon »

Hi again,
The pm feature didn't work for me to send you the contact information of the teachers in MEFIS.

You can reach me through this foru,be sure to add your email:
http://www.sencercorlu.com/eforms/askme.htm
tedb

Post by tedb »

Don't know if this is too late or not, but I have good friends whose kids went here for years and they raved about it. It is apparently up to IB standards..