Tier 2 schools in Europe?

SammaBama

Tier 2 schools in Europe?

Post by SammaBama »

I have been doing a lot of research on ISs so I can start making a list of schools I want to apply to in the fall. Unfortunately all of the schools that I really like in Europe (IS Prague, Frankfurt IS, etc.) seem to be FAR, FAR out of reach for someone that has no previous international or PYP experience.

I would like my list to have some schools from each region for flexibility. Europe would really be my top choice (W, E, N, doesn't really matter), but I am having a hard time finding attainable schools that I would want to work at. I know it will probably be a very small pool, but hoping to have some light shed on the situation by others more familiar with the international teaching world.

For me what would qualify as a "good" school would be one that is student centered, forward thinking, and in a city with decent social opportunities. I'm not big on the nightlife scene,but would like to have some alternatives to sitting on my couch every night. As far as package goes, I am currently used to living paycheck to paycheck, so as long as salary is survivable with taxes and housing I feel fairly confident I can make it work. Being able to actually save something would be nice, but I know in Europe it is unlikely.

Thanks in advance!
gibwise

Re: Tier 2 schools in Europe?

Post by gibwise »

IS Latvia
AIS Warsaw
Anglo - American Moscow
Pechersk IS Kiev
Amadeus IS Vienna
Munich IS
AIS Budapest

These were all schools my wife and I looked at with a little international experience and no IB experience. Many of them interviewed us at least
EUExplorer

Post by EUExplorer »

AIS Budapest, Warsaw and Moscow are not "tier 2 schools" and are more consistent with AIS Prague. The others you could make the case for Tier 2 and even Tier 3 in terms of pay and professional atmosphere (particularly the one in Kiev).
SpedMaestro

Post by SpedMaestro »

EuExplorer, you're a member on the 'other' forum. So I'm curious...What do you teach?
gibwise

Post by gibwise »

EUExplorer.

Please note I did not say that they were tier 2 - I merely said that they were willing to consider teachers with little international experience.

Don't be put off by the "Tier" and don't be put off by having slightly less experience internationally than they may say they want. If you are a good teacher it will show and that gives you a shot.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Munich International School is definitely tier 1. Their facilities, budget, DP scores, sports, arts, experiential ed, 1:1 and internship programmes are all pretty remarkable. They also host and organize fantastic guest speakers/student workshops on a regular basis. In the last five years Jurgen Klinsmann, Daniel Pink, David Sedaris, Jane Goodall, The Beijing Opera, Chris Bangle and John Pilger have all been on campus.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I would keep Anglo American school Sofia, BG on my list. Nice school.