Russia/Eastern Europe

Rover

Russia/Eastern Europe

Post by Rover »

Hi,

I was considering trying for a position in Russia, but that was before the whole Ukraine situation became so heated. I was wondering if anybody could answer any of, or all of, these questions -

1. What is the situation in Russia now for expat teachers?
2. What other Eastern European nations could be recommended instead?
3. Does Russian get you by in those other countries, or would you really need to learn the local language? I heard Russian is a good way to communicate in various countries if you wanted to explore travel options in all of Eastern Europe.

Thanks,
Rover
Bij Bam

Re: Russia/Eastern Europe

Post by Bij Bam »

I've taught in Russia for a year (not in Moscow though), but that was before the Ukraine situation, so I can't help you on that. But I can tell you that in the rest of Eastern Europe of what I know (Poland, former GDR, Finland), people are far more likely to speak and understand Russian than English. The younger generations are somewhat more inclined to English, but not much. And English knowledge is generally more widespread in the big tourist centres than in 'ordinary' cities. Best thing to do if you're planning to stay there for a longer period is indeed to try and pick up the basics of the local language.
OnlySolution

Post by OnlySolution »

I am currently teaching in Moscow. For the moment, things are much as they were when I arrived. The only differences I have seen or even heard about are a few more planned rallies and demonstrations than usual. We are always given notice ahead of time - the who, where, and when. I just avoid those areas during the specified times. For now, everyone is staying on high alert and security is a little tighter at the embassies, but it's anyone's guess whether there will be any major problems in the near future.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

any updates from moscow/russia?