ISS & Search - worth it?

Rover

ISS & Search - worth it?

Post by Rover »

Hi,

I have been with Search before but was just wondering...is it worth going with BOTH Search AND ISS? It's quite a bit of an outlay. Just wondering if it's really worth it both. Say, if I have 6 years+ international experience?

Thanks,
Rover
shadowjack

Re: ISS & Search - worth it?

Post by shadowjack »

Search is huge. Data base is better. ISS is smaller by a lot, now, so perhaps a better chance of landing the job?

If I had to pick one - I would go with Search. If you have the money, go with both.

I supplement my Search with TIEonline and with ISR :-)
Briz

Post by Briz »

I have done it, it is stressful. Tons of interviews in Bangkok, but you can increase your selection. Both offer different things. It was worth it in the end.
ExpatinAsia99

Post by ExpatinAsia99 »

Briz wrote:
> Both offer different things. It was worth it
> in the end.
----------------
What are the main differences between the two, other than database size?

I have used Search in the past, so I already have a profile, references etc, but I'd be interested to know if ISS is better as I'm about to get the process started again.
Briz

Post by Briz »

For me, and from what I saw specifically in Bangkok... Here are the differences. ISS seemed to suck from the get go, I had been to a search fair before, and though, whoooa, why do we have this tiny room, and the schools have this vast (usually) empty hall. But then I settled in and reforcused on the task at hand. What I saw were there were less BIG schools from China and Europe, but there were still very good schools at ISS, and there were a lot of people with job offers. I had several. I didn't accept any because I was going to Search. Search is a meat market, and they are only selecting the choicest pieces. If you have a trailing spouse and a kid, you better be amazing. The quality of jobs at Search was better, but depending on your personal reality, the ISS fair might be better for you. I ended up taking one of the ISS offers in the end, but met some great HOS's from European schools who seemed to love me, but in the end were going to London, and would probably not want to pull some baggage out of Asia with the money they offer.

So really, evaluate yourself, know your strengths, and weaknesses, be honest with yourself, and put your energy into what fits you the best!

Good luck
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

If I am recruiting I go all out and join everything, ISS, TIE, the works. However, we only opted for the Search fair. Obviously, one has one's targets, but if the net is spread wide then keeping an open mind is easier when unexpected options present themselves.