Securing an EU work permit

globetrotter87

Securing an EU work permit

Post by globetrotter87 »

Hi Everyone,

I'm thrilled to have just accepted a job offer in Portugal. Although I've always wanted to work in Western Europe, the fact that I don't have an EU passport always seemed to rule me out from interviews.

However, the more I read into the process of obtaining a work permit in the EU for a NON-EU Citizen, the more I begin to worry. Do any North American teachers have experience in obtaining a work permit for a job offer in Portugal (or the EU in general)? How was your experience? Any advice?

My only concern is that if I'm denied a work permit I'll be left without a job in September.

Thanks!
mathgym

Re: Securing an EU work permit

Post by mathgym »

Your school should help you with this. They have to submit a fair amount of paperwork to the labor office. But, while you are in the states you should get your FBI clearance done ASAP and apostilled. Get birth certificates, marriage cert apostilled too. Ask you school what other documents you will need, and get everything apostilled if possible. We have been running into problems securing work permit/residency permits for foreigners without apostille. Notary is not enough.