Escuela Campo Alegre Venezuela

PsychBean

Escuela Campo Alegre Venezuela

Post by PsychBean »

I figure to just put this school in its own post. I was on the paid portion of the site and it seems a bit scary/unsafe in Venezuela. I was also told by 2 co-workers that they left 5 years ago because of the dangers of living in Venezuela. The reviews on paid portion of the site last post was in 2011. Has things remained the same being unsafe in general?
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hi Psychbean
I taught there years ago and LOVED it. Venezuela is a beautiful, beautiful place. We left mainly because of the devaluation of the currency.

This year 4 teachers I am close friends with moved there and they are having a ball. The director there is extremely good indeed. The school is great.

However, let's not mince words: It is a dangerous place, particularly if you are Venezuelan. The school use a company who are literally "international rescue!" who give you a number to call if you are in any difficulty at all, or even just feel edgy or uncomfortable. We used it once when the wheel of our truck was resting on a drain cover which collapsed, stranding us outside a local theatre. They sorted it all out rapidly.

Its the sort of place where you take the following precautions:
1. Never go out with any valuables on you that don't need to be there.
2. Go to the ATM in pairs at busy times of the day.
3. Lock your car doors when you are inside, and assiduously lock your house.
4. If you are robbed, hand over what you have and don't make a fuss. The chances of you getting physically hurt are slim.

I heard of one or two car-jackings where the people inside were driven around ATMs drawings funds until the money ran out. But they were not physically hurt. I never heard of any home invasions.

The school and teacher housing are in a very nice part of town. There are DEFINITELY places you don't go as you'd be asking for trouble. There are occasional incidents involving ex-pats but most of the statistics pertain to locals.

I think you would definitely have to have your wits about you, but you wouldn't be living in fear. A bigger turn off for me would be the inefficiency of the airport and the cost of flights back to the US.

Perhaps someone who is currently living there could chime in?
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Thanks Cherry!

I would be going with family and with a small child I don't want to live/walk in fear. I want to enjoy life. Thank you. I do not think that it is worth the constant uneasy feeling.

Currently I am in a place super safe. Went to the store left computer and purse on passenger seat ran to the store came back realized my car wasn't even locked. Nothing was stolen or out of place. I know some may say quite silly but it's nice living not having to worry. I know that attitude will have to change but for now it is super nice.

Thanks for your feedback.
lgtallie

Re: Escuela Campo Alegre Venezuela

Post by lgtallie »

I teach at an international school in Venezuela, but I don't live in Caracas. I love Venezuela! I have signed on for a third year teaching in Valencia next year. I've been in a small city called Ojeda so I am removed from a lot of the protests that are going on. When I have stayed in Caracas for a couple of weekends, I haven't had any problems... but I did only go out during the day.

Check out my blog post on some pros and cons of life in Venezuela: http://teachingwanderlust.com/2014/02/2 ... venezuela/

From the teachers that I've spoken to who teach there, Escuela Campo Alegre is great. Many people stay there for years at a time. It is known for having the highest pay in Venezuela.

Personally, I think Venezuela is a great place to work to live and not live to work.

Good luck with your decision.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

lgtallie,

how did you get hired for your school? fair? website?
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

I worked there for 4 years. Left several years ago.

Top tier in every way. However, Venezuela will not be a stable country for some years to come. I would not recommend moving there with a family.

Good luck.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I knew some people who worked with me in Venezuela last year, they dropped my name, I sent my resume and cover letter, I interviewed a couple of times on Skype. I also had a joyjobs website with a teaching video, pictures, recommendations, etc.