EAL/ESL Positions

dexts

EAL/ESL Positions

Post by dexts »

What is your feeling on taking positions in areas that you do not want to work in, just to get an "in" at the school you really want?
For example, I have an opportunity at a really great school doing EAL, as I have a lot of very good experience in this field. However, I really want to be teaching English/Language Arts. Should I take the position just to get experience in an international school, or should I wait for a position at a "lesser" school, but in the subject I want.

Are there any opportunities for sideways movement at schools? If I prove myself in this position, would I be considered for a language arts position at this school at a later stage? Or would they turn me down for not having enough experience in Language Arts?
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

If it was me, I would get into the desired school and then try a lateral move. In my experience, a school that is familiar with your work will be more likely to give you a chance in another subject with less experience than they would require from an outside candidate. If the other position became available, you would be among the first to know about it and you could probably even make the move sooner than a contract term-and it wouldn't be considered a contract break.
sid

Post by sid »

Two points.
1. Let the school know what you're thinking before you sign. They should in turn share their opinion about your planning for a lateral move. Sometimes this would be very welcomed, and other times it's not at all going to work. For example, sometimes a school has had too much change in an area, and really needs someone to come in, stay a while, build the program. Other times, it's not going to be an issue at all.
2. Make sure you really can do a good job at the initial position. If you aren't stellar at it, the school won't be impressed enough to move you around.
dexts

Post by dexts »

Yeah, as much as I really want to be teaching English/Language Arts, it would be a pity to turn down a position in a school at the top of my list.

Sid, thanks for that. I will try to carefully broach the subject when I next speak to them. I don't want to make them think I will be unhappy teaching EAL.