Teacher with family and some questions

antgal23

Teacher with family and some questions

Post by antgal23 »

Hiya doing? javascript:emoticon(':)')

I am qualified sec. teacher from the UK with CELTA and IB MYP / PYP experience. I hope to teach IB DP next year.
I also have a Masters.

I have a wife and 3 kids and currently teach at an IB school in Eastern Europe.

We are thinking of moving, my wife wants Europe but I am open. From what I read, Europe doesn't offer families as good packages as other places.

Is that true?

Also, which countries are best suited for families re: packages offered and quality of life?

Has a/one been in a similar position and can offer any advice?

Cheers

Anthony
tdaley26

The far east!!!

Post by tdaley26 »

Anthony,

I am in a similar situation, teacher with a trailing spouse and 3 children. To be honest, the lower tier schools won't touch you because you would be an expensive hire. But, if you fill a need that a higher tier school has, you would be a very attractive hire in the far east, especially in China ( where I am at present). International schools here are expanding rapidly, and they don't seem to mind hiring teachers with families. In my job search, I was offered a number of positions at schools in various locations in Asia, and chose my present school based on its academic reputation ( since I send my kids here too!!). I am starting my second year in Shanghai, and my kids love the school and the city. You should invest in joining one of the agencies like Search or TIE, you would see that there are quite a few openings in Asia at present.

Good Luck
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

Same boat but worse; teacher, trailer, and 3 kids. Look to S.E. Asia. We also did well in China at British schools. Then these guys took us. So, there you go.
antgal23

Post by antgal23 »

thanks for replies folks

I had been looking at Brunei but China could work as well

Good idea re: joining an agency

Anthony