Confidential references

mantissa

Confidential references

Post by mantissa »

Several years ago I taught at a school in Central America. It was a big school and my principal was really great or so I thought. He observed quite a few of my lessons, was always really happy about what he saw and gave me glowing letters of reference.So when I joined one of recruiting agencies I had no doubts whatsoever when I asked him to submit a confidential reference.
Then I went on a job fair, and just could not get a job. My interviews went well. I blamed it on tough competition. etc.
Now I found out that that principal left a really bad confidential reference. Needless to say I feel bad because I used to think quite highly of the guy. Also I feel kind of hurt even because everything that ever went into my teaching file in that job was always perfect - observations, PDP, etc. And he had no grounds to give me a horrendous reference.

Should I contact that principal and ask him to withdraw it? Or leave it as it is, Tell my former colleagues that he is capable of this? Once again when you meet and work with him he strikes everyone as a real professional who is very helpful and pleasant.

Thank you!
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Your associate should have told you that the reference was bad -- he/she is not doing their job. You can always just delete the reference. How did you find out that it was a bad reference?
Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

Actually, it says in their instructions that they will not tell you if a reference is bad or good and that you should make sure to ask people you know will give you a good one for just that reason. Your scenario is really awful, though, because it sounds like you were sure he would give you a good one. I think you may be able to remove and replace it yourself, though, and I would certainly tell my colleagues that he did that so they don't get burned too.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Since you had a good relationship with him, I would contact him first and give him the opportunity to explain the issue. Be calm, mature, and rational and stick with the facts as you know them; do not be angry or hysterical. He may not want to discuss it, but on the chance he mistakenly submitted the form for the wrong applicant, or even that your info is incorrect, it might be worth a shot.

I would not take it upon myself to "warn" your former colleagues. That just sounds juvenile.
Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

I agree with heyteach on trying to resolve things with the admin first, but I am not sure how it is "juvenile", if in fact it turns out that this admin did what she suspects, to inform colleagues of what happened in the hopes of having them avoid being in a similar situation.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

SA will not disclose a reference, but your associate should have told you if it was fine or suggested "you should withdraw it and select another". A bad reference is a job killer, and you wont get placed with one and wont make your associate their fee.

I would contact the principal, there might have been an error, they might simply be one of the many admin Dbags that will lie to your face and stab you in the back. Dont be surprised if they refuse to engage in discourse of any kind with you, unless its an error, there really isnt anything in it for them to talk to you.

If it is true I would not hesitate to inform colleagues, even if it is juvenile, since the solution is to withdraw the reference and move on.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

There is no mileage in pursuing it. Just delete and replace the reference. Unfortunately, there are a (small) number of heads and principals out there who wreck careers because they can. Best not to work for them in the first place but that's not always foreseeable. Delete and replace and get on with it.
RunnerGirl

Post by RunnerGirl »

This happened to a close friend last year and she shared it with those of us who were also looking for new positions. I don't think it's juvenile to let other people know, just saving them the same frustration you've experienced.