Tier 3s in Asia

portico

Tier 3s in Asia

Post by portico »

Hello again, good people of ISR!

Quick summary: I'm doing a PGCE in Primary right now, have ESL exp, CELTA cert, no post cert exp, young, not a reputable school's dream.

Well my last post didn't get me very far, but the advice was good and wise enough (stay for NQT year - Which I'm not going to do).

I wondered if anyone knew of any tier 3 schools anywhere in Asia that would be worth emailing a very nicely worded email to?

Even international kindergartens with some accreditation or PYP/British based curriculum.

If so, it would be great if you could PM me some details.

Thanks again
portico

Post by portico »

Or infact, maybe it would be handy to make a list of known tier 3 (or there abouts) IS on this page. Maybe that would be helpful for people looking for a way in

Cheers
ann

Post by ann »

Hi, for kindergarten position, log on teachergig website. Good luck ! Ann
portico

Post by portico »

Hi Ann, thanks for the reply. I check teachergig daily along with a host of other sites (davesesl/tieonline/Craigslist/ajarn/gaijinpot/others!)

I love a bit of job hunting!
marieh

Post by marieh »

I would also love to see a list of tier 3 schools. My husband and I won't finish our student teaching until May (Grade 6-12 math and science), but my hope is that we can get our feet in the door somewhere, even if the pay/location isn't fantastic.
portico

Post by portico »

I'm with you Marieh! Who's got some info for us newbies?
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

Could you define what you class as a tier 3 school?
inman

Post by inman »

The real lower end schools are Thailand and China are often very happy to be able to get anyone with real teaching qualifications, regardless of experience. When you work in these schools you will have colleagues with perhaps a degree and TEFL certification, or maybe just a degree and teaching experience, so although experience might not be your strength your qualification would make up for that. ESL experience is also useful if pushed properly. A lot of the lower end schools do have a high population of ESL kids, so perhaps consider pushing your experience as a real advantage to understanding those students rather than, “just some ESL experienceâ€
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

'Semi professional environment'? Would you really want to work in such a school?
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Nobody is answering. All the chatter on here is about top tier schools or........the really crappy bottom scrapers that no one would wish on their worst enemy.

Perhaps you could pose a different, for example, 'if you currently work in a top tier school and have worked your way up the international circuit, what school did you start at?'. That might work.

I work at a school that I thought was third tier (I was straight out of uni), but the longer I stick around and the better I get to know the owners and the direction they are going in, the more I think it's second tier. There's also some pretty crappy competition around here.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Why aim low, other than a bit of time and digital postage what's the cost of raising your sights? I'm not a big believer in the tier system that is bandied about here but I do know there are some crappy schools out there and nobody, regardless of experience, deserves that. So aim higher and you may be rewarded.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Overhere: I see your point, but is that really feasible for someone in my situation who won't have her actual license until June or July? I have passed all of my licensing exams, but I fear that that's not going to be enough when going up against people who are completely certified and have post-certifcation experience.

Right now I teach at an okay bilingual school, but it is unprofessional in many ways (poorly defined curriculum, no ability to contact parents, no inter-department communication) and I fear that staying here for another academic year may cause me to develop bad teaching habits. So, while I would like to aim for a Tier 2, I think a Tier 3 would be more realistic and at the very least, give me an opportunity to actually experience some of the finer points of being a teacher.
portico

Post by portico »

Where are you doing your cert, Marieh? Thanks for the encouragement overhere. I will, and have been contacting more prestigious international schools, although am really only in contact with 2 who may request an interview before Christmas. This is certainly no guarantee of a job. I agree with inman above in his definition of tier 3. I'm being realistic in considering seeking these schools out. I am also CELTA qualified (with ESL exp) which I got mainly for the reason you suggested inman.

I would also be very interested to hear from teachers who didn't complete there NQT year/Had no home country experience post cert before heading off. What was your experience of this?

I'll quote the person above "if you currently work in a top tier school and have worked your way up the international circuit, what school did you start at?"

Thanks for the input people
teacherguy

Post by teacherguy »

Not 100% sure I understand your predicament. Will you be a certified teacher soon?

Either way, to answer the "what school did you start at?" question:

I got my first overseas job straight out of school. I had no experience beyond student teaching. (I would be licensed by the time I began teaching though.) I began at a terrible school in Cairo. Not the bottom of the barrel, but very close. I worked my way up the food chain. Every time going to a school that was a bit better. I now work at a fantastic school on a beautiful tropical island. I have no plans to leave. But even then, before getting my current job, I must have sent out 75 CV's. Of those 75, I got maybe ten responses. Of those ten I had three concrete nibbles.

The tier thing is very subjective, but the reality is that new schools, for profit schools that burn through staff, schools in places that are less than desirable, are where most new teachers start out. I took the job in Cairo simply because I knew I had to start somewhere, and that I was not a candidate for 90% of the schools out there. IF you will be certified/licensed you will find a job. (No idea how it works if you're TEFL or whatever.) The trick is to not be too picky. Most halfway decent schools require two years minimum of true experience. Most top end schools will be seeing CV's from teachers with a lot more. It's the schools that just want a body in front of the kids that will be hiring new teachers.
portico

Post by portico »

Thanks for detailed reply teacherguy, good to hear what other people have done. I'm doing a PGCE at the minute in Primary education, am CELTA qualified (a little something to add to the CV) and have two years ESL exp. I'm under no false illusions that I'm well qualified compared to most teachers in the IS game, thus looking for tier 3 schools or thereabouts.

When did you teach in Cairo? I know there are lots of jobs I could take out in the ME, but I won't consider these jobs as I'm looking at SE Asia. I've already started emailed out to schools from this forum and jobs I've found on Tie/teachergig/contacts I know/elsewhere. I think it's a start! It would be great to know of a few schools out in Asia that would be fit an NQT such as myself