The jump into international schools~

portico

The jump into international schools~

Post by portico »

As the title suggests, this is another teacher starting out in the international school circuit post. I've been reading up on these forums for about a year quite religiously, and was hoping some experienced posters (or not) could lend me a hand. I understand it's early, as even the most organised schools generally don't hire until around Christmas.

I am currently studying my PGCE Primary in the UK, and will finish in June, 2014. I taught in Korea for two years, and dragged myself back to get my certification as the career progression in ESL was very limited, and I wanted to get the qualifications and develop anyway. Plus the holidays are good (let's be honest!).

There is no way I'll be doing my NQT year in the UK. I completed my CELTA earlier this year in June. I thought as I would mainly be applying to lower tier schools, the CELTA may just give me some kind of extra nudge in due to the school possibly having a range of students with ESL needs.

I'm in my mid 20's, so getting experience in a lower tier international school for a couple of years is fine. I am very adaptable and tend not to kick a fuss up, so can deal with admin/management pretty well, though i'd rather not ; )

I'd love to come back to SE Asia. My countries by preference are

Korea/Japan (top)

then in no particular order

Thailand
China
Taiwan
Singapore
Vietnam
Cambodia
Hong Kong

I've done a lot of research on IS schools in Japan and Korea, and Japan especially is difficult to get into. At the minute I feel China or Thailand would be good bets. I may have a chance at a British IS job on Phuket for next summer, but unsure if 50,000thb will do me a month.

I am a member of this website, TIEonline which seems quite good, and check loads of IS type webbies often.

What would people from this forum recommend? Does anyone know of any schools in the countries above that take on NQTs? Is there a fair in Northern England that might be worth attending?

Thanks in advance : )
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

If I were you I'd stay in the UK and get the NQT. I'm not sure why you wouldn't do that. Even with a PGCE you have almost no chance at getting hired in any of those countries except for maybe China, but in a lower tier city and school. Here's why:

1. You have no experience. ESL experience does not count and no one cares if you have a CELTA unless you're applying for ESL jobs.

2. Primary is not a competitive field. You'll be competing with people who are more experienced than you and with PYP experience (which you don't have).

3. You're too young. The reputation of people in their 20s is that they do not stay long at a job before moving to the next one, especially if they are single (as I assume you are).

50,000 baht a month will be tight in Phuket. You'll be poor and living in a small studio. BIS is on the north side of the island - not really accessible unless you have a motorbike or a car. There is no public transportation on Phuket.

Sorry to be so blunt, but again, I would strongly advise you to either stay in England and get your NQT, or take a job at a lower-tier international school (that does IB) in a 3rd tier city in China, the ME, or any of the -stan countries.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I don't think they'd ask, but they can see your age on your Search application (or TIE). Someone right out of teacher college who's 25 isn't going to get much attention. Recruiters want teachers who will stay. Single 20-somethings don't exactly have a reputation for staying many years at the same school.
portico

Post by portico »

Hi guys, thanks a lot for replies. All input is greatly appreciated. Most advice (online) has said do NQT definitely. One of my current tutors and a friend who teaches at Dulwich have said go for it without.

There's no way I'm staying in the UK for my NQT. The weather is just too bad ha. I understand I will be applying to tier 3 schools, which is fine. I understand it will be difficult to get a good job with my experience, thus starting early.

Keep any advice coming, alls welcome
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

durianfan pretty much said all that needs to be said.

I would add that you may even want to leave your CELTA off your resume entirely, as schools may automatically label you an ESL conversation teacher when they see it, which will result in your resume being binned.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

My friend left BIS Phuket last summer, he was taking home over twice that, plus housing.

He still complained about the high cost of living on the island.
portico

Post by portico »

Yeah 50thousand might be tight, but the school might be good for career progression. If anyone has any other advice let me know
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hit up schools in Kuwait. Expect them to be crap. But you will get your two years in and move on with the experience.
portico

Post by portico »

Thanks for the advice mate. I've seen a load of NQT type jobs in Kuwait and the ME. Don't think that's my kettle of fish but would get me the two years exp. To reiterate I'm by no means expecting to land a tier 1 or 2 IS position. Tier 3 schools would be a good for the CV and my career progression. Hope the weekends treating folk well.

When I make headway with possible schools people in a similar position are welcome to PM me
Rover

Post by Rover »

If I was you I would literally apply anywhere and just grab whatever chance you have to get those initial IB experience years. Hong Kong...Singapore...don't think you'd have much of a chance there to be blunt, in fact I'd rip up the list you have and just apply everywhere, certainly not just cool places to have fun that already have loads of resident foreigners like most of South East Asia.

In a few years time, with IB experience on the CV, you would be still be young and inexperienced but you would at least get people to look at your resume.
portico

Post by portico »

Rover, sounds like good advice for me. Ill apply to as many possible openings as I can. Seems as though tier 3 in places like china may be my best bet. Would be great if they had IB. Does anyone know of any tier 3 schools that would hire an NQT?