Qatar vs. Kuwait

guest from M.E.

Qatar vs. Kuwait

Post by guest from M.E. »

I live in Kuwait, like my school for the most part, but I am thinking about making a jump to Qatar. Apples to apples?? Maybe it's all the same, but I wonder if the grass might be any greener. Of course, Kuwait has very little, but maybe Doha does. Seriously though, is it worth it?

I am looking at the American School of Doha and Qatar Academy. I have read the reviews and looked at savings potential, etc. at the schools. I don't know if I would be earning that much more. Can anyone give me any current info on either of these two schools and if Doha is any better than Kuwait and if the standard of living might be better? I imagine they both are very similar and lacking much culture. If you don't like your school in either of these two countries, I think they would be tough places to live.
desertrat

Doha

Post by desertrat »

Doha is growing rapidly; it's an exciting process to watch, but not your normal cultural experience in terms of Bedouin culture or anything like that - very much like a "first world" country -not there in terms of services, but past it in terms of shopping malls.
The American School of Doha offers a very positive working and schooling environment; intense in terms of expectations but again, an exciting process to be part of as it grows each year. Cost of living is skyrocketing so savings potential is not as high as in the past, but it all depends upon your life style and how often you want to fly out of Qatar. Annual airfare is a terrific benefit - but if you go more than that, prepare for a hit in the wallet.
george

qatar

Post by george »

Qatar is safe but a bit boring. American school and Doha college ok - I would avoid QA for the moment :?
mcomsij

Post by mcomsij »

Doha is same as Q8 but you can get a drink. Apart from that, all the other comments apply. The differences are not of an order of magnitude and the caveat that Doha is more xpensive holds true. If you can hack GCC countries this has the most potential imho. Give it 5 years and it will have a GDP in the stratosphere which will be 'interesting". It is a boom town and there is a certain palpable sense of goldrush about it albeit regulated ( so far). 8)
sid

Post by sid »

George, why avoid QA? The teachers I know there report that they like it.