De-activating your Search account

Yantantether

De-activating your Search account

Post by Yantantether »

I didn't realise this would happen after finding and accepting a new position. Seems that once you inform them they de-activate your account and you can no longer access the database of schools. Not too impressed with this as I would still like to have access for a number of reasons, and besides isn't this what I paid for?

Am I missing something here or is it as I understand? If so, I'm really not too thrilled tbh!
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

That's the deal - it's stated very clearly on their website. If you don't like it, then don't pay.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Yantantether, I wasn't too thrilled with it either. I put it off for about a week, but then figured they'd do it anyway, so I filled out the online form and, blah, no more database for me. Annoying, but them's the breaks.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Sevarem,

Yep, I delayed a week as well. Would just be nice to have access still to see what is still out there post-fairs. And just to be able to continue to see schools' info. Both for curiosity and keeping up to date with what schools are looking for and what they offer etc.

Is this situation for a specific reason, i.e. us giving non-members access/info. do you know?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I think you have to be ACTIVE to access the database...and if you can still access the database, then you are showing active, even though you have a job.

So (and this is just my thought), in order to have you not show up as active and seeking employment, once you have the job, you deactivate.

Even Mrs. S got an email asking her to deactivate.

Once deactivated, no access to the job bank.

Also, I was contacted by a school who couldn't find my Search profile - so when you deactivate your profile is archived and removed from the list of candidates schools see.

That's why you have TIEONLINE LOL
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I'm sure they're avoiding buyer's remorse. Once you accept a job the search is over. They're just helping to make sure of it. It's annoying but I can only imagine how many more broken contracts there would be if people could keep on looking after they've already accepted a position.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

I agree with DCgirl. It is HARD to shake off the job search mentality in the first few weeks after the fair. Before my account was deactivated, I was still looking at the openings that popped up. Not because I planned to break my new contract, but because, hey, why not see what's out there?

Though there is TIE...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

There are several reasons. First, as John once told me "we're not Wikipedia". The SA database is to assist candidates in finding employment and deciding on a contract with a school. Thats the only reason for the database. Once your employed, thats the end of your relationship with them.

Second, they dont want to tempt you by other schools and possible positions. If your DS posts a vacancy that youd be PERFECT for they dont want to tempt you to apply. Thats just asking for trouble. Likewise they dont want schools contacting you for positions when your no longer available either. It wastes their time and resources. This also gives schools a more accurate understanding of the available candidates pool. If there are 100 candidates for a position before the BKK fair and 50 afterwords, and after the BOS fair that pool falls to 20, thats data that is very important to a school, and the timeline of its recruiting efforts.

Third, removing you from the database and inactivating your profile allows the agency to invoice the school for your placement, and everyone likes to get paid sooner rather then later.
Walter

Doncha love Pretentious Dave?

Post by Walter »

"First, as John once told me, 'We're not Wikipedia'." Is "John" a pal of yours, Dave or did you feel the urge to do a bit of name-dropping?
If "John" is a pal of yours, did he mention at the same time that most of your advice on here - about going "rogue" (or "rouge"), about lying and deceiving recruiters, about fraudulently misrepresenting yourself on your resume, about taking a job at one fair and then going on to the next to scout out other possibilities, about excusing yourself from one contract you've signed by claiming a medical emergency and then accepting another one - is completely contrary to SEARCH guidelines as well as generally accepted ethical conduct?
The "John" I know would have no compunctions about telling you exactly what he thought of you...