GEMS American Academy - Abu Dhabi

Bodisalpha

GEMS American Academy - Abu Dhabi

Post by Bodisalpha »

My wife and I have been offered positions at GEMS American Academy and we are hoping that we can get some real time information from people who are in Abu Dhabi or work at GAA. We have 2 young children, 3 and 5, and are currently living in and teaching in HK.

I have been looking through many posts and can confirm that Ian Deakin has taken up his new position with GEMS and is now working in Dubai. The new Principal is now in place.

My family are looking for a new experience after 13 years in HK. Pollution, space and closer to the UK were the criteria and AD seems to match our requirements, with a similar expat lifestyle to HK (helper, eating out, friends etc).

If anyone can specifically tell me about working at the school that would be great. I have heard they have a pay freeze on at the moment?

In addition, has anyone got any helper information? Is it easy to get a helper? Can we try to bring over our current helper (we live in HK and our helper is from the Philipinnes)? How much does a full time live in helper cost in AED? Can helpers live out and whats the situation with this?

Finally, can anyone comment on the Al Reef 2 bed villa's as thats where we might be living. Online they look like they are 1300 sq ft.

I know AD will be very diffeent to HK and we are setting ourselves up for the changes!

I look forward to any help and comments.
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

did you interviewed with Ian before he took the job in Dubai or after? coz he started a discussion with me about 2 weeks ago and since then...nothing.
Bodisalpha

Post by Bodisalpha »

I interviewed with Ian at the Search Bangkok job fair and have been in touch with him since at his new email address.

Still looking for some information about the cost of a helper/nanny if anyone can help.
hallier

Post by hallier »

This is just my opinion, but I'd be careful about this school.

It is a for-profit school where, sometimes, admin such as Ian Deakin, do not have the control that admin in non-profit operations have.

I wonder whether after 13 years of overseas experience you could maybe do better.

I wish we could do private messages on this forum as I could be more specific about what happened to a friend of mine who dealt with this school.
inman

Post by inman »

This schools is a perfect example of how quickly things change in international schools and how quickly reviews can go out of date. I spoke to a good friend who left there last year. When I was in in Abu Dhabi they were still close to the main city, but they recently moved to a new state of the art campus outside of the main Abu Dhabi city, but close to a few other schools. The facilities at the school are apparently just amazing, but this isn't reflected in the teaching and learning that goes on. They want to get their money back and that means that any standards that were attached to their entrance exams have gone, and anyone gets in. That's quite normal in for profit education, I know, but still, it's something to be aware of.

It's never had a reputation has been as being a great school, but you can do worse. I agree that with 13 years experience you can probably do better. But, at the same time, this school seems to be in quite a transition period. It might be a good time to get in and be part of building towards something new.

Al Reef is a bit further away from the city than the school, but it's nice and the school can give you good accommodation there that its a bit cheaper than places closer to the city. I'm not saying they're going cheap on you. I've heard very nice things about the place. Yas Island is very close by and there are quite a few decent bars and restaurants there, as well as Ferrari World, some new water park, the F1 circuit (where you can walk or ride bicycles every Tuesday evening) and a massive Ikea with a decent restaurant.

Nannies/helpers are cheap in the UAE.

Abu Dhabi will be different from Hong Kong, but I imagine it will be a nice change. A lot of people really like Abu Dhabi, me included. And if you get bored, Dubai is just down the road.
Bodisalpha

Post by Bodisalpha »

Hallier

you can PM me on the TES forum. My username in bodisalpha and I have started a thread in the teaching overseas forum asking about helpers in Abu Dhabi.

I would be very interested in hearing any first (or second) hand accounts of the school as its a big, big decision to move the family.

Thanks

Inman

I have had a few people say nannies are cheap but no-one ever puts a figure on it! DO you know roughly how much a live in nanny costs per month?

Cheers
gus

Post by gus »

2000 dirhams per month is pretty standard
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

[quote="Bodisalpha"]I interviewed with Ian at the Search Bangkok job fair and have been in touch with him since at his new email address.

Still looking for some information about the cost of a helper/nanny if anyone can help.[/quote]

can you please tell me his new address in order for me to contact him and ask him if he is still interested in my application?
inman

Post by inman »

I personally never had a maid. Many colleagues did though, especially families. As I remember the price could be anywhere from about 1000 to 2000 AED. I'm sure you'll be able to find online though. There are many agencies.

By the way, an excellent place to buy, sell stuff, as well as find services is dubizzle.com. Worth a look, especially if you're looking for second hand furniture or car when you arrive. You might be able to find info about maid/nanny services on there too.