Questions! regarding ME. Assistance really appreciated.

OrangeSoda

Questions! regarding ME. Assistance really appreciated.

Post by OrangeSoda »

Hi everyone. I've been lurking the forums for the past week since discovering it. I have had many questions answered just by reading posts and many other websites! I would be grateful if anyone could assist me in my specific questions as the next move I make will be very important. I need to look for a new job for next year, because of circumstances with the school budgets [quite a number of staff are affected]. Me and my partner have always wanted to move abroad at some point, even though we are only into our second year of teaching we have decided our next move will be going abroad, long term [hopefully].

Here are some questions:

[b]1.[/b] If a job is only advertised for one position, is it in the application where you state you can only move if a job is available for myself and my partner?

[b]2.[/b] Anyone have experience or thoughts on working in 'The British International School' in Abu Dhabi?

[b]3.[/b] Is it true Abu Dhabi has a higher salary than for similar experience than its neighbours in the ME? however I've also read they do not disclose the pay until after you have been successful? [thejob advert does not show a salary]

[b]4.[/b] There are a couple of vacancies in Doha, Qatar but they do not list the school name, just a description of it. Is this normal and any known reason behind this?

[b]5.[/b] Anyone have experience or thoughts on working in 'The Sultan's School' in Oman?

[b]6.[/b] Is it best to apply now or later on in the year to get a good deal?

[b]7. [/b]This is in the description of a job that is advertised. It is totally different to anything else I have seen and I'm sure there is something to read between the lines, what is meant by a package and how much of it would be a salary? Any ideas?
[i]" An excellent tax free package worth in excess of £45k (in UK Terms) , including accommodation, utilities allowance, annual airfare and medical cover is available. " [/i]

We are certainly not just going for the money, as we actually want to succeed and make an impact at a school in the ME. However, with all things combined, the salary is an important part of the decision [not as important as the school] as we want to commit ourselves to a project and that will take a few years.

By the way, great job to the people who continuously answer the questions and probably a lot of repetitive questions as well [probably some of mine too!].
Last edited by OrangeSoda on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
OrangeSoda

Post by OrangeSoda »

Oops! I'm guessing the html code isn't active on this forum? :oops:
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

Hi! I don't have any experience with the Persian gulf, but I can answer a few of your questions.

Now is the time to be applying for jobs. The rush for international school hiring is going on right now for next school year. Many positions have already been filled or will be in the next few weeks. That's not to say that there won't be some positions available later in the semester, but in general the hiring schedule is earlier for international schools than for American schools.

Many international teachers are "teaching couples" who only go to schools that are willing to hire both of them. You explain this in your cover letter and send the school both your resumes. If the school has positions open that match both of you, then you're in luck!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

OrangeSoda, I will try to answer your questions:

1. If a job is advertised for only one position, you can apply along with your spouse, but there might not be a job for him or her. The thing to do would be to join something like Search and/or TIEonline, where you can see the jobs at a school and whether there is a job there for your spouse. You can also contact the school directly and ask for a list of vacancies, mentioning that you are a teaching couple (and mention your areas of expertise).

2. Never heard of it. Abu Dhabians?

3. No, Abu Dhabi doesn't pay more or less. Some schools might pay more, others might pay less. Don't go in thinking you will make more in Abu Dhabi than in Kuwait, say (where the pay is lower, but the chance to tutor if you are a GCSE/A level teacher of maths, chem, bio means you can make a mint)

4. Be very careful of Doha. If it is the English Modern School, run, run far away. Be careful of ads which do not disclose the school name for international jobs - it means it is likely very dodgy.

5. Again, never heard of it. Omanians?

6. The time to strike is now - most good schools are filling their vacancies in the next month or so, and have already begun hiring at the Bangkok Fair (with Hong Kong fair (mainly Asian schools) starting tomorrow and London on the 24th).

When you say, "to get a good deal" understand that there is not a lot of negotiation that goes on. Most schools have a pay scale (and the reputable ones will let you look at it!) and that's that. There is no negotiation. Dodgy schools "negotiate" but be prepared to be hated, or to hate, when you find out what others make vs yourself, and vice versa, as inevitably happens. Reputable schools are transparent in pay.

7. This means you total package, salary, flights, housing allowance, etc comes to 45,000 UK pounds or more (it could be 45,000.99 pounds!). However, be careful about (a) what medical coverage you will be offered; (b) mid-contract flights; (c) where your housing is; (d) where the school is located; (e) utility costs included or separate (usually included, but you don't want to assume and find out they are not). It seems that you will pay the utilities based on this advert; however, what is the average utility cost.

Also google them and perhaps send a blind email to a teacher asking for more information - use a fake email, so that the school can't trace it to you.

Reputable schools will provide email contacts - mine gave four - two of whom I asked for and two of whom the recruiter gave.
sid

Post by sid »

Listen to ShadowJack. An excellent response.
There's a chance that #7 could be better than our interpretation, but you'll be safe looking at the worst case scenario. If it turns out to be better, excellent!
OrangeSoda

Post by OrangeSoda »

First of all, thanks to all of you for replying and the detailed responses are very much appreciated!

ShadowJack, thank you very much for that reply. I guess now I'm a bit more stumped because the school in Abu Dhabi is the one which is offering the two roles which is what myself and my partner teach, but it isn't disclosing the pay.

I guess the only other thing left is the reputation of the schools I am looking at? If anyone has information it would greatly assist my decision. The Abu Dhabi schools only opened in 2009 from the information on the website [some reviews are parent based and say the school started off with issues but is much improved].

I have carried out hours and hours of research over the last couple of weeks and the information I have gathered is still a little limited in terms of the schools. Is it worth paying the $$ to read the school reviews on this website?

## Will it matter what website the jobs are advertised? as only a couple are on TES and the others are Academics, Jobtrain and Teachaway. Anyone know if they're trustworthy?

I will contact the advertisers for more information regarding the schools, see if I get anything back! I just don't want us to end up in a school where it's not very well run [already been in that situation!]. More than willing to work hard and make an impact, as it can't be good for students to have a new teachers all the time, which is why we want to make it a long term arrangement.

Thanks again!
Kby

Post by Kby »

The pay scale is mostly the same around Abu Dhabi with British schools paying a little more than American schools.

You said you want to move to the ME with 'your partner'. Not sure if you're married but if you're not it'll be hard... almost impossible to get hired as a teaching couple. The ME follows strict Islamic law which basically says members of the opposite sex can't live together without being married so you should approach schools as singles.......or put a ring on it! #inmybeyoncevoice

Once you're here you can have 'sleep overs' because this part of the world will automatically assume that you're married anyway (they truly just don't get that the Western world dates, etc) but its a gamble because doing so is well...against the law.
gus

Post by gus »

British School Al Khubairat is the best British School in AD. British International SChool is newish and off to a good start (I am in the American system here). SChools will and should share their package here. AD is a good place and BISAD would be a good experience and I suspect it has a pretty solid package. I would certainly look in to it. There are also a number of other schools here if there was only one position for you at BISAD, you could explore other schools for your partner. This is not uncommon here.
Kby

Post by Kby »

Two more cents....

Check the websites of the schools that you're interested in and email a few teachers there. I've always done this and it's been more helpful than the reviews on this sight. I never ask about benefits but about the school climate, work load, student population. Believe it or not I almost always get a reply and insight of the school from someone with first hand knowledge.

Good luck!
OrangeSoda

Post by OrangeSoda »

[quote="Kby"]The pay scale is mostly the same around Abu Dhabi with British schools paying a little more than American schools.

You said you want to move to the ME with 'your partner'. Not sure if you're married but if you're not it'll be hard... almost impossible to get hired as a teaching couple. The ME follows strict Islamic law which basically says members of the opposite sex can't live together without being married so you should approach schools as singles.......or put a ring on it! #inmybeyoncevoice

[/quote]

haha, that's exactly what she said! Yeah we were planning on getting married next year but guess would have to at least get the certificate etc. this year and do the actual wedding next year [we will show commitment].

Do you know what the salary could be, for a teacher with 2 yrs experience?

Thanks for the reply!
Last edited by OrangeSoda on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrangeSoda

Post by OrangeSoda »

[quote="gus"]British School Al Khubairat is the best British School in AD. British International SChool is newish and off to a good start (I am in the American system here). SChools will and should share their package here. AD is a good place and BISAD would be a good experience and I suspect it has a pretty solid package. I would certainly look in to it. There are also a number of other schools here if there was only one position for you at BISAD, you could explore other schools for your partner. This is not uncommon here.[/quote]

Hi Gus, thank you for that information, much appreciated!

How are you finding life in AD? does it have good options in terms of things to do in the evenings/weekends ? and do you venture off to Dubai much?

BISAD is the only school so far that has positions which both me and my partner can apply for, therefore it's probably our best option to go for.

How are you finding the students and lessons in general? I know it will be challenging but I would like to get a sense of what it would be like.

Thanks kby, I will look into email addresses if they're available.

Some very helpful people on here! much appreciated.
gus

Post by gus »

We are leaving AD after 5 years and 10 in the region. It has been great for us here but depends what you are looking for. What surprises most people is how easy AD is and how much like home it can be. there is lots to do, lots going on and good International teachers community. Doesn't have the culture a place like Egypt or Jordan (or Asian countries) would have but easy to travel and experience that as well.
cricket

Post by cricket »

In terms of Oman, I would only consider working at TAISM or ABA - there's also a British School. I've met a few teachers from the Sultan School and had a student transfer from there and it sounds like they're having some management issues there. They have a lot of behavioral issues and my students' parents both went there but decided to pull their son out because of all the problems. It's also not an International student population if that's something you're looking for. Hope that helps!
OrangeSoda

Post by OrangeSoda »

Thanks Gus, if I do manage to get an appointment there would love to have a quick chat about the place! Hope your next move goes well!

Thanks, Cricket! I think that's helped me make my mind up about that because I think if I did get a position in a school in the ME it would be helpful to have a more international student base.
gus

Post by gus »

Let me know how it goes...happy to chat. Have done a lot of traveling around tier 1 & tier 2 schools so have a good sense of what is around.