Single with one dependent

justateacher

Single with one dependent

Post by justateacher »

i am in the midst of trying to find a new job. i have a masters, 20yrs of experience, including some international school experience (though no IB).

i haven't attended a fair yet because i was advised that being a less attractive candidate i should wait. i am not sure if that was good advice or not (it came from admin).

any thoughts on what i should try to do? i may attend ISS san fran or Search london in the spring but i am starting to worry that i should have gone earlier.

any thoughts? advice?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Single with one dependent

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="justateacher"]i am in the midst of trying to find a new job. i have a masters, 20yrs of experience, including some international school experience (though no IB).

i haven't attended a fair yet because i was advised that being a less attractive candidate i should wait. i am not sure if that was good advice or not (it came from admin).

any thoughts on what i should try to do? i may attend ISS san fran or Search london in the spring but i am starting to worry that i should have gone earlier.

any thoughts? advice?[/quote]
----------------------------------------------
What would make you a less attractive candidate? Your admin may have been giving you what he thought was sound advice or he may have had an agenda.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

What do you teach? Did you sign up with Search? Did you ask your Associate for an invite to say, Bangkok, which is for teachers deemed to be strong candidates?

I had never been to a job fair, have 20+ years experience and a trailing spouse...and in the end, I applied and was accepted for Bangkok...

Don't let admin tell YOU what you are or are not - that is why you pay Search, so your associate can advise you honestly.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Your admin doesnt want to lose you!

Regardless of whatever it is you teach aside from IB or other curriculum experience there isnt really anything else to make you more marketable. Whatever your field your likely to be highly sought after in your field (assuming your not a logistical nightmare for a hire).

Id forget Search, your in a different category of teacher. You should look into ISS and joining them.
Walter

Dave Psy - so wrong, so often

Post by Walter »

"Id forget Search, your in a different category of teacher. You should look into ISS and joining them."

Please don't think for a moment that ISS represents a "different category" of teachers. That is so far from the truth, it's way beyond Dave Jaw's usual level of misinformation. All of the recruiters in Bangkok were clear that the SEARCH FAIR had by far the better candidates - as they have for the last four years. Likewise, SEARCH Cambridge will have a much stronger roster of candidates than ISS San Fran. Dave has never recruited at one of these fairs and simply has no idea.

I am beginning to sense that Dave's comments reflect a level of unhappiness with SEARCH - I wonder if this coincides with his resume being taken off the SEARCH roll?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes it does. As always Walter doesnt know what he thinks he knows. Walters ad hominem attacks do not constitute either evidence or rhetoric. ISS appeals to elite teachers and has higher standards for school representation. Where SA appeals to a more general audience.
His comment is way out of context, of course there were more recruiters with praise for the BKK SA fair over the ISS fair, the Sa fair is a bigger fair with more attendes.

Walter didnt even read my post, as it had no reference to fairs and their weaknesses and strengths. BKk would have been the fair for you to go to, and comparing BOS fair and e SF fairs for a candidate such as yourself is an academic exercise, your marketability is above the competition of both fairs. our 20 gallons of water, and the SA BOS fair is a 10 gallon fair, and the SF fair is a 5 gallon fair. Your marketability and outcome expectations exceed the recruiting capacity of both fairs.

Your highly likely to be hired directly after a Skype interview with schools that really won't be attending.

I'm a fully registered member of both SA and ISS.
Walter

why oh why oh why

Post by Walter »

Dave, I know your command of the English language is appalling, but I think I managed to decipher what you meant by:
"I'd forget SEARCH. You're in a different category of teacher. You should look into ISS and join them."
No one could misread that, and you are so, SO wrong.
justateacher: the story that ISS somehow is the classier option over SEARCH is laughable. 15 years ago, the three top fairs were CIS LONDON, UNI and ISS. Each of these fairs attracted 600+ candidates and 200 schools. Now the three top fairs, at least as far as any recruiter is concerned, are: SEARCH Bangkok; SEARCH London; SEARCH Cambridge. All of the top schools who think of using recruitment fairs will use these three fairs. And as far as recruiters are concerned, ISS is in deep decline. (Sad to say, because I, for one, like the competition!) The top schools will always go to the top fairs - because the top teachers are there. And the top teachers go there because....
And justateacher before you get carried away by what Dave said about your being a cut above the rest...it's competitive out there. 20 years' experience is great, but you're going to be up against some top teachers. More than a few of those left the Bkk fairs with nothing.
Dave, I am really not trying to bust your cover, even though we both know I know who you are. #1 You did not attend the ISS Fair (or at least not as an invitee). #2 You may have attended ISS unofficially and flaunted your body in the lobby and corridors but a) your claim that you contrived a dozen or more interviews that way is ludicrous. Seriously, why would you expect anyone to believe that a candidate with seven jobs in eight years (and by your own admission looking for your eighth in nine) would be in such high demand by what you claim are only the top tier schools that are allowed into ISS? Don't you see a disconnect there? and b) I don't think you were even in Bkk. Your post on Jan 3rd about "ugh it's so hot and sticky here"...really, Dave, how unconvincing is that?
For the sake of you other readers who may get tired of this back and forth...I only ever bothered writing on this forum because of the absolute lies and nonsense Dave wrote at this time last year when the fairs in the States began. Look up my record on here and you will see how Dave made such a turkey of himself and how he inadvertently revealed who he is. I don't have a problem with anyone expressing an opinion on here, but I really object to somone presenting himnself as the world expert on international schools when a) he really knows so very little and b) he says what he says with such utter conviction that novices in this world might actually believe him. Imagine if justateacher decided, on the basis of this nincompoop's blurtings, decided to say "I'm going to join ISS, because that's the quality recruitment service." DUH!
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Walter,

Perhaps we could give him the opportunity to prove you wrong ^_^ with some little 'fair details'questions? I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing along.

For example:
1. What color were the interview request slips?
2. What color were the teacher folders?
3. What shape were the tables in the teacher's lounge? etc. etc.......

Could be fun!
txteach

Post by txteach »

justateacher, I used Search this year and am thrilled with the results. You should look at both services, look at the schools that use the services, and make your decision based on what you are looking for. A friend of mine used ISS last year and is in a great school with a pretty good package. I'm headed to a great school with a pretty amazing package. You will find all sorts of schools either way.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Justateacher,

honestly, with the preparation and contacts you need to get set up for a fair, the closest one you could do well, time-wise, is Dubai. However, most of the big schools have finished and it is 2nd and 3rd tier with one or two top tier schools in the ME region.

The time to have been doing all the prep, connections and contacts was September to December. The next big fair is London and I am sure hot prospects have already got interviews lined up. Yes, there is a fair in Hong Kong, but it is mainly for China-based schools with one or two exceptions. You would never be ready for that anyways - it's in 6 days and if you are really fast and organized with your refreences, referees, etc...you can become a candidate in four days...leaving you two to do everything else as well as get to Hong Kong. Besides...Hong Kong is closed.

If you signed up for Search this year, do it to use its database. Also sign up for TIEonline, which advertises quite a few non-search schools.

However, I would plan this year to recruit next year.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Justateacher

I disagree with Shadowjack, its not so late in the season that you cant make it happen this year (its late for the recruiting rush). You could still do the SA BOS/Cambridge fair and be one of the top ranked teachers. The other fairs are dump fairs. Again, though you really dont need a fair, your attractive enough of a candidate that once the rush in recruiting is over youd be a very marketable and valuable candidate. Even if NOTHINg happened, youd be in a great position with everything done for next year.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

PsyGuy - great minds think alike :-)

Although he is too late for Boston (fair is closed), if he signs up with Search he still has access to the data base. I also recommend joining Tieonline - often they post their positions faster than Search and there are a ton of postings from smaller, non-Search/ISS schools in interesting places teaching interesting things.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

He's not too late for the SA BOS fair. There is "closed" and then there is "full". Closed just means you need to be special to get an invite. Many times an invitation has "become available" for the "right" candidate. In this case the OP is the right kind of candidate for this fair.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

There is that - if you don't ask you won't find out!
justateacher

Post by justateacher »

I am certified Preschool-grade 8 and ESL (though I have never taught ESL). I am registered with both Search and ISS. Search BKK, Cambridge and London are all full and I opted out of ISS BKK based on my admin's advice. I am considering ISS SF and Search April/London but ideally I would hope to get a position via Skype. Not sure if that's going to happen and I need to buy a (very expensive from Asia) ticket to SF if i plan to attend.

I do wonder if waiting makes more sense. Surely something will come up? I was once offered a position over the phone to American School of London (but that was before i had a dependent).

Not sure if admin thinks i'm terrible or not but he offered to do my letter of rec for Search (which of course is anonymous though)..