salary for china

vincentchase

Re: salary for china

Post by vincentchase »

"Is 46k rmb a good deal then for family of four"

46k RMB is equal to about US$7500/month. How can anyone suggest this is not a good salary in China?
gbr1964

Post by gbr1964 »

I don't know either way but since I have never lived there I am reaching out to as many sources as possible. So thanks for your input and I will put that down as good salary then? Hehe!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

46,000 RMB is a pretty good salary for a couple/family of 4 but I don't see anywhere whether that is pre or post tax.
gbr1964

Post by gbr1964 »

@overhere that would be a post tax salary.
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

I think the lifestyle you go for makes a huge difference. I've met families that made more than us but they spent most of it. I think the big difference was the ability to operate in Chinese. We learned Chinese and we used it all the time for shopping, getting around, communicating with everyone. It made life more convenient. People who can't communicate in Chinese often end up shopping at the import places and eating at expensive restaurants where the staff speaks English and they often avoid checking out more local fare. It's very hard to live and assimilate in China without being able to speak some Mandarin, or in Shanghai, some Shanghaihua and Mandarin. Of course Guangzhou and Cantonese. Otherwise you are even more on the outside looking in. Of course, all foreigners are on the outside to a certain extent no matter how long you live there.
To sum up, learn the lingo and that will facilitate your living. If you're outside the big three cities, it's even more crucial.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

I have a family of four and save quite a lot of money in Beijing (which is probably one of the most expensive areas in China). And I'm nowhere near 46K RMB/month. You will be fine is my guess, unless you have about 20KRMB/mo in bills back home. Still, you'd be fine after that.
If it's a good job and school for your children, take it!
Briz

Post by Briz »

It is fun to read what people like psyguy (did he ever live in China?) say about the cost. He is off. Seriously 2k a month, what a life that must have been.

2 years ago I made almost 17k a month, I easily saved 1000 USD a month with a trailing spouse, weekly . (it helps I won more than I lost), trips for christmas and summer, and really having no budget.

I am going back to make almost 30k a month and expect that we should save 20k USD minimum in the first year (as it gets cheaper the longer you live in a place we expect more after that). I took the job so we could buy another house (I didn't love Beijing the first time, I need a reason to go back) after 3-4 years we should be able to have a pretty nice place (omit location...)

46k for a family will save a ton! Friends with a family of 5 making about 30k saved 15-20k usd a year.
Artrageous

Post by Artrageous »

We are a family of four and send all my salary home to pay bills back home, and live off my husband's wage of 20,000 RMB , and we live pretty well. We buy imported fruit and vegetables and wine, treats etc from the Western stores. We have one overseas holiday a year (school pays our airfare) and a few in China holidays, plus pay for music lessons for our kids and clothes, toys etc- although we eat at home and do not go out very often to bars or restaurants. I'd say 46,000 RMB sounds like a fantastic salary for one person's wage and you would be able to live pretty well. Consider though the air pollution and the lack of transparency of food safety/ cloning, pesticides, bleaching etc.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

Two years ago I lived in a suburb of Beijing with housing paid for, single no dependents, student loans back home, traveled every vacation, and still managed to go shopping at the local markets most weekends for knock offs and local groceries. I only made 20K RMB. China can be really cheap if you don't . too hard!