pedophiles and other sleazebags in international schools

another guest....

pedophiles and other sleazebags in international schools

Post by another guest.... »

John Carr, former American teacher in Thailand is suspect in the molestation and murder of a young girl in Colorado and has recently been deported and is awaiting trial.

I wonder how many other international schools have pedophiles in their midst, given that there are very few background checks and it is very easy to conceal one's past. I worked with one teacher and not only did he act extremely inappropriately with students during school and personal time, the headmaster did nothing when several teachers voiced our concerns.

There are some of the best people in international teaching, but let's face it, there are many who probably should be in jail!

Any comments...
French Teacher

Worrying about pedophile?

Post by French Teacher »

Oh come on now ... certainly we're not going to use this forum to get all worked up and alarmed about "pedophiles in our midst." I'm sure it doesn't happen any more often than in a school back in the U.S.

Secondly, John Mark Karr was NOT a teacher. He never got his degree or a teaching certificate! He was only a SUBSTITUTE teacher. Please people ... let's use this forum for constructive uses ... to talk about issues that directly concern teachers and international teaching.
Int. Teacher

Post by Int. Teacher »

I disagree with "French Teacher"! There is an incredible amount of this sort of thing that goes on in international schools, either with the local population or students within the school.

The background checks in the states are very thorough and teacher licensing requires finger prints and police checks. The simple fact of the matter is that it is very dificult to do this in the mobile international community and this environment is a great cover for such abusers!

Personally, I have seen this far too often in different countries and even with students where there is suspected sexual abuse at home, there is virtually nothing that can be done. There are no checks and balances or means to protect students, whether there is suspected sexual or physical abuse.
Pacific Island Teacher

Post by Pacific Island Teacher »

Int. Teacher wrote:I disagree with "French Teacher"! There is an incredible amount of this sort of thing that goes on in international schools, either with the local population or students within the school.
It would depend on where you're going and the immigration issues into the country. European international schools generally require, in order to get a visa, that you get an FBI file and a letter from your local police where you've been living. They also require that you have certification. A number of countries in other parts of the world won't give you a visa with out having the appropiate certification. It really just depends on where you are at.
teacher

child welfare

Post by teacher »

I think the real issue is the welfare of the children we teach and too often little can be done when there are concerns of suspected abuse. Too often the attitude of adminstrators is that "we can't do anything about it" or that they just don't want to rock the boat.
TeacherMan

fbi file

Post by TeacherMan »

European international schools generally require, in order to get a visa, that you get an FBI file and a letter from your local police where you've been living.
FBI file? :roll: I work for an EU school and didn't need an FBI file. I suspect you're mistaken. A police letter possibly, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that the FBI has better things to do than keep files on every public school teacher.
Gelis

Post by Gelis »

I think by FBI file they probably meant an FBI background check. And I've not seen a good, reputable international school which doesn't require some sort of background check.
Botox

Background Check

Post by Botox »

Every State in the U.S. requires a background check to get certification. Why should the International school have to repeat the process for a U.S. certified teacher?
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

Why should an international school perform a background check when one was done for certification?

Many people receive their certification in their 20's. They are still teaching in their 50's. Could it be possible they have done some kind of criminal act in the intervening 30 years?

I personally know of a student in the process of certification who committed the crime of exposing himself in public. The student on campus he exposed himself to refused to press charges. So had all of his previous victims. So there was no "background" to check. Do you think this guy will stop? The school he attended refused to recommend him for certification, but what was to stop the guy from transferring and being recommended by a different school?

He was still in his early 20's and he hadn't been caught in any meaningful way. I have lost track of him since I left the school, but let's say that no one prosecuted him before he got his certification. Is he still out there, running around his school naked? Has his behavior escalated?

The suggestion that a single background check is acceptable for a 30-year teaching career is ridiculous.