PIADS in Phuket

wombat83

PIADS in Phuket

Post by wombat83 »

Dear all

I'd appreciate any info people have on PIADS in Phuket...a role that interests me has come up there, but I'm aware it is a young school.

Anything I should worry about? I'm currently working in a tier 1 school...would working at PIADS, albeit in a promoted position, be a dent on my career?

PMs welcome!

buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

There have been a few threads on this school with people looking for info, but there is just not a lot out there because, as you point out, it's a young school. I've been out to the campus, which is in a beautiful rural part of Phuket on the north end of the island. The facilities are new and looked great from the outside. It would certainly be a risk, but I think at least worth an interview, provided that the admin isn't Thai. I'd really be interested in what sort of package they offer. Phuket is arguably the most expensive place in Thailand but salaries tend to be much higher at the Bangkok schools.
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

Salaries in Phuket are absolutely not as much as the schools in Bangkok. Only the British School in Phuket pays anywhere close to the schools in BKK. There are quite a few "international" schools on Phuket these days and most pay poorly, and it is a lot more expensive than BKK. A few of the schools on the island won't hire anyone on an overseas contract, so besides a lower salary there might not be housing. Probably BIS,PIA and QSI are the only ones that would cover housing. I don't think Head Start does, nor does Kajonkiet, Montesouri, Phuket Intl Kinder. There's another new school on the southern end of the island, I am not sure about that one.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Depending on what position you were moving into and moving from it could be a step up. Generally you only get to move one step in region or position. If your making 2 or 3 then it could be worth it. Otherwise PIADS would be a step down from a tier 1 school.
wombat83

Post by wombat83 »

Thanks for all of your replies: very useful :)

It's difficult working things through, especially with such a young school. The position is 1 step up from what I do now, but as you all say, the school is a definite shift down, plus the element of risk....an interview can never hurt though!

:wink: