Teaching in Europe for EU citizens

dantespal

Teaching in Europe for EU citizens

Post by dantespal »

Hi, i'm just starting to explore possibilities for my next trip out of the U.S.

I've heard/read about issues with cost of living in Western Europe, and spreading East. I'm a U.S. born teacher holding dual citizenship in Ireland. Does that open up any opportunities for me? Or is it still the same deal?

I'm starting at about zero knowledge, so even basic replies are appreciated.

Thanks.
PsyGuy

Lucky

Post by PsyGuy »

Youre in luck, you have an EU passport, which means you will have options for teaching opportunities in EU countries that are only open or available to EU passport holders. A number of top tier school will or can only employ teachers with EU passports or working papers (they already have a work permit). Many times you still have to apply for the work permit, but you are actually ELIGIBLE for one.

The costs dont really change though. Taxes are still high, and in some countries where foreigners are eligible for a fixed tax rate you might find yourself actually paying more. Otherwise having an EU passport isnt any different then a foreigner who has PR.
dantespal

European Schools

Post by dantespal »

thanks for the reply.

What about in non-international schools? Any opportunities there? I remember for example someone writing that the local schools in Switzerland paid much more than an international school paid foreigners. Not necessarily interested in Switzerland, just an example.
PsyGuy

Sure

Post by PsyGuy »

Sure if you have an EU passport you could work in a local/municipal/public school in an EU country. Understand though that with the exception of a few bilingual schools, you would need to be fluent in the language of instruction (typically the official language of the country). Public/municipal/local schools often pay better then your typical independent/private/2nd tier IS. At the tier 1 ISs you break about even, and the elite schools in general pay better then the local/public/municipal schools.