A Question on Flights

ChoirGuy

A Question on Flights

Post by ChoirGuy »

A new school opening in HK (Harrow HK) is advertising and after reading their package details, it seems that they offer flights after 2 contracts. Does this mean my family and I would be flown in at start and then have to complete TWO 2-year contracts before flights again?

Is this a new trend or just Harrow?
figure8

Post by figure8 »

Not sure if it's a new trend or just a Hong Kong trend..I was offered a job at Discovery College in January and they only offered the initial flight out - a one way ticket for myself and dependent. No round trip air fair each year.

In the end I went with another Asian school with a much better package. Those flights home from Asia are pricey if your home of record is N. America! Perhaps HK is a bit like Europe in that they can get away with not as many flight perks since a lot of folks are keen to work there?
ichiro

Re: A Question on Flights

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

Ichiro - Harrow is a posh UK school.

Hong Kong schools often only give you flights every couple of years (each contract) Some don't give you any flights, others fly you out and that's it. It's not necessarily the place to go if you want massive savings.
PsyGuy

Harrow

Post by PsyGuy »

As stella said, Harrow is the quintessential posh british/UK (boarding) school experience, they were one of the "firsts". They have schools in Beijing, Bangkok, Hong Kong, and plans for Singapore. They tend to compete with Dulwich in those cities.

In my experience schools typically have you sign a new contract every year even if already on a multi year contract as a means of communicating changes in labor, immigration and employment law, or as a simple government requirement.

Its becoming less common to get flights every year. More schools are going to every two years or in and out (you get flown in and then flown out). I do not think HK has the same pull as western europe, but Hk isnt europe, and for those wishing to stay in asia, I believe it does have that pull (HK was second behind Japan for most desirable post among new teachers going/looking to Asia).

However, in this case your flight allowance is every every 2, 2 year contract so 4 years.

"On first appointment, a one-way economy airfare will be provided from point of origin, including for dependents, for teachers not already resident in Hong kong. A return flight to point of origin is also paid subject to the completion of
two contracts (4 years). A return flight for the teacher is also provided once a third and any subsequent
contracts are signed."

Salary (Annual) Step Scale:

1 367,200
2 387,600
3 408,000
4 428,400
5 448,800
6 469,200
7 489,600
8 515,100
9 540,600 BAR
10 591,600
11 622,200
12 657,900

Progression is annual one step per year, until the bar at which case it becomes per 2 year contract and is contingent on satisfactory performance.
There is an additional 10% gratuity per 2 year contract.

Additional benefits include:

1) HK$5,400 relocation allowance.
2) Provided Housing or Housing allowance of HK$8,000/month.
3) 80% discount on tuition for up to 3 dependents.
4) Full health insurance
5) All visa and permit costs paid by the school.

You are required to pay for your utilities unless residing in the boarding school and serving as a boarding supervisor.

You are also required to contribute HK$1,000/month in retirement
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

So I did read it right then...oh well...one for the negotiating table if it ever gets to that point...the Harrow in Beijing is offering beginning and end of contract (for 2 year contract).
The school I'm at now in BKK is every 2 year contract and it seems some schools are no longer doing annual flights in "desirable" countries.
No worries...waiting on Beijing and KL this week, so HK will have to wait until Saturday. Thanks for the info from all, though.