Should I sell my furniture or store it?

abarisme

Should I sell my furniture or store it?

Post by abarisme »

Hi guys! I know this is probably a silly question but I am really wanting to sell all my furniture here in the states so I can have some spending money in my new destination! However, when I do decide to come back to the states(I'm not sure when), I will have to start from scratch.

What have you guys done?
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

You are coming to Malaysia right. Then sell if you can. It is cheaper to buy then ship furniture back if you decided to go back. This is true for anywhere in SE Asia I suppose.

I have a washing machine and dining table if you want.....
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Should I sell my furniture or store it?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="abarisme"]Hi guys! I know this is probably a silly question but I am really wanting to sell all my furniture here in the states so I can have some spending money in my new destination! However, when I do decide to come back to the states(I'm not sure when), I will have to start from scratch.

What have you guys done?[/quote]

We have sold/given away one house full of things and then sold the next house with every thing in it.

I guess it depends on how attached are you to the furniture you have, how much storage will cost you over the 2 years or so you will be gone, and how much you think it would cost you to duplicate what you have.

In our case, we were happy to be able to finally get new, matching furniture when we came and were able to finance it. We loved it while we were there and selling the house with that nice furniture in it, clinched the sale for us in a very tough housing market.
PsyGuy

Humm

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends what youd do with your furniture if you didnt sell it (how much would storage cost). Unless its antique stuff, or very expensive stuff, youd be better off selling it in my experience.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

Sell it and buy new. You're just throwing money away putting it into storage, unless it's of sentimental value or you're got somewhere to store it for free. Even saying that, by the time you return, will you still want it? I often find a right load of rubbish in my shipments and packed away in the loft, best just to get rid.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

I got rid of all my big furniture (and other things I haven't used or worn in recent memory) and pretty much only stored my vinyl records. I was considering bringing them to Uzbekistan - but they would've taken up all my shipment weight. I found a storage unit for $30 a month and it's the size of a small walk-in closet.
Pike

Post by Pike »

We initially thought we would be back in one year (signed a one year contract), so we did store a lot of stuff. With that being said, we only store most recent purchases and antiques. We have since gone back and now we only bothered to keep the antique stuff.

The storage can be pricey, however, it is real convenient. If we buy anything, but we do not want to drag it around from country to country, we just being it back and store it. If we ever decide to settle. We will still have it.

I guess there is no wrong way to do this... it depends on what you value. If you value what you have and you are not willing to part with it, then pay the money and store it. You can always change your mind like we did. However, the money you pay for storage, may in the long run, pay for your new furniture should you decide to come home.
abarisme

Thank you guys!

Post by abarisme »

Oh my! Thank you so much! Now I don't need to feel guilty for doing this move. :)