"americanisms" that annoy

wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="bigfatgit"]I've found that a lot of the Americans in Cairo don't seem to know the words "please" or "thank you"

A perfect example is that well known lemonade stall called the ACE Club in Maadi

Americans tend to walk up to the bar and just say, "Give me a Sakara" and get met with a chorus of "Please" from the Brits sitting at the bar

Is that standard for Americans or is it because of the colour of the bar staff?

I once had a strange incident when I offered 2 American staff a lift in my taxi to Road 9. At the time, the fare was 2LE (about 40 cents). When I got out of the taxi and paid, the 2 Americans went mad because I gave the taxi driver 3LE. "It's because of you, that people have to pay more and get ripped off", they shouted as they walked off from their free ride!!![/quote]
-------------------------------------------------
I apologize on behalf of Yanks everywhere. I don't know if I am typical of Americans, but I tend to please and thank you people to death. In a foreign country, they are among the first words of the language I try to learn.

You also ran across some very cheap Americans. I too tend to tip taxi drivers. I never had a problem in Alex with taxi drivers. I gave them a reasonable amount and they generally never complained or asked for more. One driver tried to complain after I gave him 15 LE for taking us to Carrefour (perfectly fine and a bit generous for 2006). As soon as he started with some faux anger, I gave him a look and started to laugh at him. Even he then had to laugh and look a bit sheepish.
fke

Post by fke »

What do you call yourself?

I say: I am from the States or U.S. (in English) or the city.

In Spanish, I say estadounidense or norteamericana.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

@wrldtrvlr123

Living in South Florida in no way shape or form equates to living in South America.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="calciodirigore"]@wrldtrvlr123

Living in South Florida in no way shape or form equates to living in South America.[/quote]
------------------------------------------------

How would you know? :D

Actually, I never seriously thought that it did. I simply have no interest in living in South America. Not every place appeals to every person. I hope that's OK.
PsyGuy

Maybe

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123

Yeah but youre married, if you were single there might be certain aspect of south america that might appeal to you as a single guy???
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Maybe

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@wrldtrvlr123

Yeah but youre married, if you were single there might be certain aspect of south america that might appeal to you as a single guy???[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Becoming a gaucho? Yes, it is tempting, but my chicken legs wouldn't look good in those short pants they have to wear.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
koda

Post by koda »

I am in Eastern Europe, and if I reply "I'm from the United States", they don't know what I'm talking about- most people get a confused look until I say "America". Then I get "OOOH okay". So I think it depends on location as to whether to say America or not- in latin America/South America I know its a big faux-pa (sp?), but in other parts of the world I think that's what they use as well.

....One of the things I've noticed since being overseas is that Americans are louder than many other cultures. In fact I've been told that they stereotype Americans as being loud and overly enthusiastic about things. Not sure if that is everywhere, or just here though?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="koda"]I am in Eastern Europe, and if I reply "I'm from the United States", they don't know what I'm talking about- most people get a confused look until I say "America". Then I get "OOOH okay". So I think it depends on location as to whether to say America or not- in latin America/South America I know its a big faux-pa (sp?), but in other parts of the world I think that's what they use as well.

....One of the things I've noticed since being overseas is that Americans are louder than many other cultures. In fact I've been told that they stereotype Americans as being loud and overly enthusiastic about things. Not sure if that is everywhere, or just here though?[/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

It depends. Many Americans are fairly laid back compared to many Latin, Egyptian and even Chinese people that I have been associated with. Stereotypes start somewhere and then take on a life of their own.
PsyGuy

Europe

Post by PsyGuy »

Italians and Parisians can be pretty loud compared to Americans