Still looking

Moonshine

Still looking

Post by Moonshine »

So I went to the January Bangkok fair, and didn't get an offer. I've had a couple of Skype interviews since then, and nothing so far. I have nine years experience, international experience, but no IB experience, which is not helping things. What I've noticed is that some of the jobs I applied for and had interviews for, are still available. So ...what's the deal? When exactly do they fill these positions? I'm going back to the March Bangkok fair, but I'm worried that this fair is a bit too late. Any thoughts? The Bangkok job fair in January was depressing ...it seemed like the majority of people I talked to did not get offers.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I'm in a similar position and I have IB experience. Either I suck at interviews now, or the recruiters want to wait for someone cheaper. I have 3 dependents which turn them off.

Also had quite a bit of bad luck. One excellent school wanted me, but really needed somebody else's wife. I entered an interview for a position they had already offered at least twice. A few schools already offered people with dependents previously so can't afford me. And finally my favorite and most recent, I was their first choice, but they offered the position to some guy as a local hire. Economy in the USA must really sucksince he accepted.

I guess I might see you at Bangkok
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

I have IB experience (9 years), have been a HOD (13 years), but all in a British system; I also have 3 dependents, though (wife and 2 children), and think this might be why schools are waiting. I would love to get into ISManila for a Director position, but have been told "if you wife doesn't have a teaching degree (she DOES have 5 years teaching EXPERIENCE in Mandarin), it's not likely the school will even look at me" (this from their HR department)
Keep looking and keep hoping!
PsyGuy

Interpretation

Post by PsyGuy »

First some background. IS Schools world wide are seeing falling enrollment, and that means falling budgets. Combine this with an increased supply and decreased demand for teachers, schools can really "afford to wait". Ive writen it before and everyone disagrees with me, but hiring the "Best teacher" while making sense in the classroom, doesnt always make sense in the business office. Having 13 years experience and maxing the cap for a teacher is not as attractive on the bottom line as a teacher with 2 years experience. This isnt rocket science, its secondary education, you dont need someone excellent, you just need someone proficient, and proficient is cheaper then excellent. When you start adding families to the equation (logistics) it makes even less sense. Im a junior admin and when I look at a teacher with 9 years experience with a spouse and two kids versus a single teacher with 2 years experience, the question becomes is those 7 years experience worth two and a half times the cost? That answers usually no. How much better are students grades, test scores, understanding or mastery going to be with that extra 7 years experience? Wheres the value?
All of us as teachers, have some ego invested in this. We want to believe that what we bring in our qualifications makes a difference, and that difference is worth something substantial. Its just not true.

Many reasons go into rejecting a candidate. Its not the "best" resume gets the job. No one is rally ever going to be able to tell you why they said no, and my advice is just move on and wait. If a school doesnt want you, its VERY difficult to change their mind.
Moonshine

Post by Moonshine »

I completely feel your pain. I too have a dependent -- my non-teaching husband, which limits which countries I can apply to as well. I really wanted to get into SAS in Shanghai, but after seeing the number of people applying at Search (they had to move their presentation to a larger room), I figured I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell, and I seemed to have been right. I also want to get into a school in Singapore, had the interview, didn't get it, but the job is still available -- at least still on the Search website.

Everyone keeps telling me it's not time to panic, but I'm starting to wonder if with the US economy being the way it is, maybe there is a glut of teachers?

What is really annoying is when you have an interview, and they tell you they'll get back to you in a few days, and they don't. You're totally left hanging, not knowing what is going on.

Good luck to us all!
PsyGuy

Statistics

Post by PsyGuy »

There is a significant increase in the inexperienced teaching pool (and by inexperienced I mean teachers new to international teaching).

Anything but an offer is really a rejection, if they ACTUALLY wanted you they would give you a contract. Everything else is just varying shades of rejection. Sometimes down the road the rejection becomes an offer but they still dont want you, they just ran out of other options/choices.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I was in this position last year. I turned down two pretty good offers, really thought I was about to be offered three more, and finally came to terms with moving back to the U.S. Anew opening popped up in April, and I applied as a last-ditch effort, and got it. It was worth the wait.
gmc747

Same Story Here

Post by gmc747 »

I was at the UNI Fair last week and as soon as I mentioned a non-teaching spouse and child, I was given the bum's rush. I was dissapointed in not getting a contract. It was my first attempt at an overseas teaching job. I now have a better insight to the situation and hope that in the future I'll have better luck. I did meet some really nice people while I was there and it could later help with netwroking.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

I was in your same position last year as a rookie. Went to the Search Cambridge fair - interviewed for several positions - and was turned down. I was in the final stage one of the big EARCOS schools, but was given sage advice - you have the skills, but need more experience overseas. The fair experience was an emotional roller coaster, but it didn't stop me from looking.

End of February I interviewed w/ my current school and was quickly offered a position. The location isn't considered ideal from an outside perspective, but I really like it here. I was told by my colleagues that I am very lucky to have my first overseas gig here - good admin, small, but forward thinking IB school.

Don't get too discouraged - something will come your way. And I'll repeat the mantra of the others here and at the fair, if you're not too picky - some of these schools in "crazy" locations turn out to be real gems.
PsyGuy

Mantra

Post by PsyGuy »

"Their is a position for anyone if your willing to accept anything".