Fair updates

PsyGuy

Good question

Post by PsyGuy »

A couple of factors:

1) International Schools are basically private schools. Many teachers apply to international schools coming from public school systems, and the two models of education are very different.

2) Teachers with international experience are MUCH less likely to suffer from culture shock. They have already proven they are adaptable. A recruiters greatest fear for a new teacher is that they wont get on the plane.

3) IB/GCSE/etc experience is more likely to be found in an established international teacher. Many schools despite how international they are tend to have a certain national atmosphere based on the predominate student population. A schools admins and where they are from also influence a schools culture. International teachers are less likely to be effected by this, and more flexible to its adaptation. A principal from Japan is going to have a different management style then one from Australia, and that style is going to percolate throughout the schools culture. Its the same with the students.

4) Teachers that work with international students have a broader perspective when it comes to student behaviors. For instance a pair of asian students in a class whispering to each other are more likely to be seen by american teachers as interrupting class. An experienced international teacher should at least consider that the students are more likely to be asking their school mate for a language translation. In that case an experienced international teacher, may take the cue to slow their delivery.

5) International Teachers are easier to manage, because they are more adaptable, and flexible. This is because they tend to move around a lot, from one school to another. This mobility tends to build a certain amount of "ego mailability". Change just doent bother them much. this makes experienced teachers better "employees".
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Good question

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]A couple of factors:

1) International Schools are basically private schools. Many teachers apply to international schools coming from public school systems, and the two models of education are very different.

2) Teachers with international experience are MUCH less likely to suffer from culture shock. They have already proven they are adaptable. A recruiters greatest fear for a new teacher is that they wont get on the plane.

3) IB/GCSE/etc experience is more likely to be found in an established international teacher. Many schools despite how international they are tend to have a certain national atmosphere based on the predominate student population. A schools admins and where they are from also influence a schools culture. International teachers are less likely to be effected by this, and more flexible to its adaptation. A principal from Japan is going to have a different management style then one from Australia, and that style is going to percolate throughout the schools culture. Its the same with the students.

4) Teachers that work with international students have a broader perspective when it comes to student behaviors. For instance a pair of asian students in a class whispering to each other are more likely to be seen by american teachers as interrupting class. An experienced international teacher should at least consider that the students are more likely to be asking their school mate for a language translation. In that case an experienced international teacher, may take the cue to slow their delivery.

5) International Teachers are easier to manage, because they are more adaptable, and flexible. This is because they tend to move around a lot, from one school to another. This mobility tends to build a certain amount of "ego mailability". Change just doent bother them much. this makes experienced teachers better "employees".[/quote]

I wouldn't disagree with much of that. Although I have heard of/personally seen a mini-trend towards hiring teachers fresh out of the states this year. In part, this has stemmed from a School Head coming straight from the states, who then brings in other admin./principals with no int'l experience, who then feel that teachers with int'l experience have no great advantage (since they did not have any).

I do think int'l experience is still an advantage in many cases, but maybe not as big as in other years.
shopgirl

flashy resumes an advantage?

Post by shopgirl »

Thanks psyguy your info is always so helpful.
Here's another questions for those who are experienced international school teachers - i read on one of the other posts that some people had really flashy resumes that were different.

the resumes i sent out were just regular resumes with no flashy bits. i'm sure that putting in an effort to create something that stands out will capture some attention but how much effect does that have on a school wanting an interview with you?

any ideas?
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Are the schools being ultra tight this year? I have 6 years of international teaching experience and I teach Math and Physics. Attractive till they see the non-teaching wife and 2 kids.

A few schools are keeping me on their 'list' but seem to be waiting on cheaper options. 30 odd interviews so far this year. I know the real reason for some rejections since I know who they offered to at the fairs.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

@ Mathman-- although your an expensive hire you are still in an in need field. Are you trained in IB or work at an IB school? Most of the 'real' top schools will choose quality teachers over budgetary concerns. Some IB or AP work would probably help with some of those schools.

Also check the thread "Wait for next year" It talks about QSI and there system of schools supporting a number of dependents.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

2yrs Ib and 3yrs a-levels. Some schools said not enough middle school experience. I've interviewed with quite a few very good schools, but it doesn't help when I miss out because somebody's partner is a needed admin. I've had at least 2interviews where they already offered the job to someone else before I even walked into the room.

I'm actually quite confused with the interview 'tactics' at the fairs. Not many seem to want to talk about my experience. They said my references have taken care of that. I've had to listen to heads talking about the package they have. Am I missing something here?
QSI dismissed my application and changed the Maths part of the subject to Moths...so not interested
PsyGuy

Responses

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123

This year was unusual with a higher then average admin need, which may very well explain part of the increase in inexperienced hires (one girl walked into a P.E. position at ISB-Bangkok, with only 1 year of non IT experience...)

@shopgirl

I have seen picture picture flyers, "coupons", colored resumes (pink perfumed paper), brochures, CD/DVD resumes, business card resumes, 8x10 photo resumes (resume on back). This year at Search/Cambridge someone had a western "wanted poster" printed on yellowed paper, their photo in the middle and said "Wanted: Great Teacher", another candidate did a "Your Invited" wedding invitation that looked a lot like the wedding invites for the "Royal Wedding" in the recruiters boxes.

The use of a non-traditional resume device is called "Pulling an Ichiro"

@mathman

Schools are suffering from losses to enrollment which means less money, and more admins are considering cost a factor. With all your experience, and 1:3 rack ratio (1 employee:3 dependents) you would be an "expensive" hire.

Recruiters already know your a good/great teacher. They checked your references and file with Search already. If that was what is important, there would be no need for the fairs at all.

You have to understand the fairs are NOT for the bennifit of candidates, they are for the bennifit of the recruiters. The format, and environment is all in their favor, for two reasons:

1) Recruiters already know you can teach, what they want to find out is if you would make a good EMPLOYEE. Thats where the face time comes in. They want to see if they like you...

2) The fair world is a bubble world, pressure, stress, and psychology play an important role when a candidate evaluates the contract and compensation package.These factors make it more likely a recruiter can "sign" a teacher at lower cost.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

@ Psyguy- I don't think it is fair to say they are only looking for a good 'employee'. I believe recruiters are often truly looking for the best fit. Part of best fit is teaching but part is temperament and an ability to add to the culture of a school.
Sometimes a school truly needs a male in an elementary class. Sometimes they really need at least one female in the PE department. Sometimes you need to find someone lighthearted and levelheaded who can help align a department that has undergone some conflict.
Schools are a place for children and people. Its not just about job efficiency- people skills are key.

@ Mathman-- you are expensive, but as the season goes on your in demand area will serve you well. You may just have to wait it out and be open minded.
PsyGuy

Agree

Post by PsyGuy »

Were not disagreeing. Schools really do look for the best fit for a teacher. Many factor go into that, but gender is something you dont need a fair for, and its not an elusive factor for a school to find. What makes a teacher a good employee, IS those people skills that go beyond degrees, years of experience, certifications. It is those very traits that determine "likability", and thats something a recruiter just needs face time (however brief) to look for.
alia

QSI

Post by alia »

Math, the reason QSI probably dismissed your app was because of the non-teaching spouse. From what I understand they only hire teaching couples, but the number of children doesn't seem to matter. Before we knew about Search Associates and ISS, my husband applied there. They were really interested in him until they realized he was married. Probably for the best anyway.
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

About half the teachers at our QSI school are single. They hire both married and single teachers. Also, most of the employees are not religious, nor is religion part of the curriculum. I think they are changing in this regard.
alia

Misunderstanding

Post by alia »

[quote="mathgym"]About half the teachers at our QSI school are single. They hire both married and single teachers. Also, most of the employees are not religious, nor is religion part of the curriculum. I think they are changing in this regard.[/quote]

I wasn't clear in my last post. What I meant to say was that QSI only hires teaching couples. Singles are fine, but they won't look at couples if one is a trailing spouse was my point. Sorry for the confusion.

Although I'm not sure I understand your post about QSI dismissing your application. It seems you're already teaching at a QSI school?
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Mathman is not mathgym
teachaway

Post by teachaway »

deleted
Last edited by teachaway on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Must have

Post by PsyGuy »

Was one of the few... Most of the admins at Search and presumably ISS were non head admins.