Questions about Turkey

dreamgiver

Re: PAYDAY

Post by dreamgiver »

[quote="PsyGuy"]33K to 70K??? So 37,000 isn't a "significant" motivating factor for you??[/quote]

Psyguy, you misunderstood me. I am currently earning over $70,000 a year right now in an American public school. I don't think I could take a pay cut to $33,000 no matter how great the school/place is right now. I would rather just travel through that country. Maybe later when I have paid off my mortgage, saved a good chunk for retirement, etc then I would consider taking a lower paying job if other things felt right. But I can't justify that large of a pay cut right now.
PsyGuy

Nope

Post by PsyGuy »

I didnt misunderstand. If i was leaving 70K for 33K, then I better have a teaching assistant who's a supermodel, with poor impulse control, otherwise Im waiting for the fair and the matching 70K offer... I hope we understand each other???
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

Oh okay! It sounded like you interpreted my comment as saying I thought there wasn't a "significant" difference between 33,000 & 70,000. At this point I don't even think I'd take that big of a pay cut even if I had a gorgeous (male) supermodel TA that also cooked my food, cleaned my house, did my laundry, and massaged my feet! Course I'm super happy in my current job so maybe I would feel differently if I hated my job and was just trying to escape! I'm pursuing a life long dream of international living/work . . . but not mission work!
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

I am currently considering a job that pays about quite a bit less than $70,000 (but a whole lot more than $33,000!). But with housing allowance and lower cost of living I think the difference about equals out. My problem is I don't have international experience so I know I might have to work my way back into that salary range. It's a great school with what I think will be a much easier job description than what I currently have. Actually I was offered a $70,000 job but turned it down for other reasons. I think my chances are great at getting a $70,000 job but it might be worth it to take less money and skip the fair!
PsyGuy

Suppose

Post by PsyGuy »

I imagine as opposite genders we use different "criteria" in our decision making "models" (as in theoretical constructs). My theoretical construct just has to look REALLY good (or "face" validity). ;)
dreamgiver

Re: Suppose

Post by dreamgiver »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I imagine as opposite genders we use different "criteria" in our decision making "models" (as in theoretical constructs). My theoretical construct just has to look REALLY good (or "face" validity). ;)[/quote]

Yes, I imagine you are right about that! :)
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="dreamgiver"]I am currently considering a job that pays about quite a bit less than $70,000 (but a whole lot more than $33,000!). But with housing allowance and lower cost of living I think the difference about equals out. My problem is I don't have international experience so I know I might have to work my way back into that salary range. It's a great school with what I think will be a much easier job description than what I currently have. Actually I was offered a $70,000 job but turned it down for other reasons. I think my chances are great at getting a $70,000 job but it might be worth it to take less money and skip the fair![/quote]

Yes, there can be schools/places that are better financially even though the base salaries are significantly less by comparison.

Search has many schools paying $70K+, but with minimal or non-existing savings potentials due to taxes, cost of living, no housing provision etc.

The one that always confuses me is when the savings potential for a single teacher is MORE than the savings potential for a teaching couple with 2 children. I know that some countries tax the tuition benefit, but when you are adding another $70K+ salary to the mix, you would think (or at least hope) that SOMETHING would be left over from that.
WiseTeach

Turkey

Post by WiseTeach »

I am leaving around $55,000 year so comparatively... add the $33,000 to the $1000 mo. for housing and the cut is not that deep, particularly if the school does have rainbows and butterflies circling over it. Still and all... it seems maybe not so smart to go backwards in salary at this point in my life. Also... recieved word that the ISS fair is "short" candidates for the Boston IRC. Does that mean better chances for us who have signed up Do I pocket the grand in expenses and take the other job.... Hate making decisions like this. And yes dreamgiver I will post on final answer.
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

WiseTeach - are you currently in the U.S.? If so going from $55,000 to $33,000 might not be going backwards as much as it seems. In the U.S. they don't provide housing. So the amount the housing is worth is really part of the salary in a way. So that brings you to about $45,000 a year? Depending on the cost of living where you're coming from in comparison to Istanbul, that could make up a big chunk of that $10,000. I know I am leaving an expensive part of the U.S. so I have to take that into account. Still, just the figure of $33,000 a year looks horrid, even if it's not really as bad as it looks! I might have taken it if I'd done this many years ago when I wasn't almost maxed out on my current payscale!
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123

I see that problem too, I know kids are expensive and are financially a big money hole. But youd think with the benefit of incremental costs youd think with double salary income that there would be SOMETHING left.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
WiseTeach

Questions about Turkey

Post by WiseTeach »

You both are thinking along the same lines as I am. Add to those facets you mentioned, I will no longer be an instant ATM for grown children. Also... no car insurance, union dues, gas expenditures, mortgate, (must sell my house) and a number of other financial leakages would disapper in the exhaust of my plane leaving the country. You are helping me come to some conclusions.
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

"I know kids are expensive and are financially a bug money hole"

LOL, PsyGuy, what in the dickens is a bug money hole?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Questions about Turkey

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="WiseTeach"]You both are thinking along the same lines as I am. Add to those facets you mentioned, I will no longer be an instant ATM for grown children. Also... no car insurance, union dues, gas expenditures, mortgate, (must sell my house) and a number of other financial leakages would disapper in the exhaust of my plane leaving the country. You are helping me come to some conclusions.[/quote]

True. Not owning a car has been a big savings for us since we left the US. Also, research the tax situation. You should be able exclude up to $80K+ in earnings outside the US from US taxes (I should be so lucky as to ever pay tax on anything over $80K). In some places, local taxes are almost as bad, but you should still come out ahead, taxwise.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MMMC

A typo

@WiseTeach

Most of those are true, especially in metropolitan cities, the savings on a car can be substantial. That said I know more then several teachers that have bought cars, especially after getting a position at one of the elite schools, or finally getting a position where they want to retire.

As far as gas goes, in Asia fuel is actually cheap. In europe its very expensive, and really the government subsidizes fuel costs for public transportation, but since your paying such high taxes (in income, or more often VAT tax), your paying for it one way or another.

Union Dues are iffy, some countries, and or cities in europe have and require (mandate membership) as well, and those unions have dues.

You may want to reconsider the mortgage though. If your receiving an actual housing allowance from your school then buying a house, instead of renting and having a mortgage can be a VERY good financial decision. Instead of paying rent your building equity in an asset, that another . is paying but you get to keep. I mean youd love your mortgage back in the USA if someone else was making the payment.
WiseTeach

Turkey

Post by WiseTeach »

@ psyguy -
Re the mortgage... so true, but not ready to invest in a place I may not retire in. I am about 10 years from retirement so thinking that I may move around a bit internationally before I get ready to invest in home..... however that said... I may look into it. I really didn't know that one has to make over $80,000 internationally before paying US taxes. That REALLY is an added value as I most certainly would not be making that in Turkey.