Are we screwed?

markholmes

Post by markholmes »

I'm in a BC overseas school. I wouldn't be allowed to work here if I didn't maintain my BC certification.
skazzyskills

Post by skazzyskills »

That might be different b/c your in a BC school.
PsyGuy

That doesnt make sense

Post by PsyGuy »

I think you and your fellow teachers are deluding each other. If your certificate isnt active and valid, then you dont have a certificate to teach. Its the same if your certificate is expired. If I have an expired drivers license, I cant legally drive. Its the same thing with any profession.

Yes the teaching credentials unit can take your license for not registering its called not following the rules. If they suspend your license for not registering, then its a suspended license "SUSPENDED". Whatever issues regarding value you and your other teachers have with the BC teaching regulatory agency, are irrelevant. Your not a licensed teacher if they say you arent. The state of California does nothing for me, as a teacher but I pay my fees every 5 years because otherwise I dont have a teaching certification.
overseasvet2

licensure

Post by overseasvet2 »

PsyGuy - you take a lot of grief but I find this post succinct and spot on. It's a hassle to keep up with my state's licensing requirements - every 5 years and at least 3 college courses in the interim. Most often schools require active certifications because if their teachers don't have it, then they will be dinged when it comes to accreditation time.
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

I also think PsyGuy said it perfectly.
PsyGuy

Worse

Post by PsyGuy »

Accreditation aside (an that also means IB annual reviews) in many countries it a crime to practice a profession without a license. You could be arrested, or sued for fraud. Most contracts have a clause that states to the effect "Material misrepresentation of facts or information are grounds for immediate dismissal/termination". Representing yourself as a credentialed teacher when your credential is in fact, expired, suspended, or anything other then valid and active, would be hard to argue how your still certified when the BC teaching regulatory authority says your credential is suspended. Yes it may say suspended for non-registration or expired, but none of those mean "Valid/Active"

As I said earlier we had to dismiss a teacher (we hired her back as a substitute at the daily rate, which is a LOT less) because she didnt have a valid license. I think its only a matter of time before the admins and heads catch up with the regulatory changes in BC, and it only takes one nosey parent, admin, fellow teacher, student to bring to the attention that so and so isnt even a teacher. I understand why someone would be scared, but pretending its not a problem, doesnt make it go away.

Professionally, I cant imagine a representative from the BC regulatory agency could truly claim to understand every other countries, and accrediting agencies requirements and laws. If the computer says your "Suspended/Expired/Inactive" then I cant see how any admin could interpret that as anything but NOT-certified???

Serious face here.... Your certificate/license/credential whatever it is, "THAT IS" what makes you a teacher and all those other college grads without one non-teachers. Your license is your KEY to the profession, and the government regulators are the gate keepers, without a KEY your not going anywhere, and if you do your working on borrowed time. Its like Russian Roulette, you can only play so many times before you get the chamber that isnt empty....
sid

Post by sid »

PsyGuy is absolutely correct.
Would you call a doctor a doctor if his license wasn't current and active?
Fly with a pilot without a current license?
Pay for a dye job from a hairdresser who wasn't licensed?
Have an unlicensed architect design your house?

And would you accept any excuses about why they weren't legally licensed?

A license may not make someone a good teacher, but it does make them legal. You could face firing, jail time, deportation if you enter a classroom without one.

You may think your school doesn't really care or isn't paying attention, but that's only when things are going swimmingly. You'll find yourself in a serious pickle when a complaint is made about you for any reason and it turns out you misrepresented your status.

Get current.