Guatemala

davey

Guatemala

Post by davey »

There is a position opened in my subject area at the American School of Guatemala. There are mixed reviews here, and their school website is pretty sparse. Anybody have any info on the school or on Guatemala in general? Having read the state department's travel info on Guatemala, I am particularly interested in how crime affects your daily life as well as traveling. Thanks!
PsyGuy

State

Post by PsyGuy »

Cant say anything about Guatamala, but I've always found DOS warnings overly cautiouse and alarmist.
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

Hi,
I have no idea about the schools but I lived in Guatemala and still travel there. Guatemala is a nice country for travel. I have traveled solo throughout the country and never felt unsafe. I'm not saying there are not dangers, but I’ve never had an issue. They have the same social class issues you find everywhere. Guatemala City is no different than any major city in the world so take the usual precautions. If you do not flash signs of wealth and stay out of dodgy areas/situations you will be fine. It's also one of the better places to learn Spanish as the locals speak clearly and slowly. I do not find the local people to be as warm and fuzzy as say Costa Ricans, but they are kind if you make an effort to get to know them. You will find many foreigners living all over the country. You will also have cheap/easy access to other countries in the region.
Let me know if you have more specific questions.
Last edited by MMMC on Sun May 06, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Thanks, y'all. I figured the DOS was being overly cautious - it makes sense, really, that they would be.

[quote="MMMC"]
Let me know if you have more specific questions.[/quote]

And thanks for the info MMMC. As I was far more concerned about the country itself rather than the school, it's good to get a personal account.

A few questions:
1) As for the dangers, there was a lot on the DOS website that applied particularly to women that concerned me. Do you find that sexual violence against women is a bigger issue than other places, or is it more - as you said - on par with any big city in the world?

2) I also read a lot about ATM fraud. As my debit card info just got stolen, I don't relish that happening again. The idea that the majority of ATMs are unsafe concerns me, as you definitely need to know about that so you could adjust your actions accordingly. On top of that, I even read some accounts where people said you shouldn't even pay at a restaurant with a card unless you're right there at the till to watch them run it through. Have you heard much about any of that?

I think that's it for now. Thanks!
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

A few questions:
1) Do you find that sexual violence against women is a bigger issue than other places, or is it more - as you said - on par with any big city in the world?
*Not at all. It's about the same as other places where machismo rules. However, be mindful that you are in a 3rd world country that can be somewhat lawless. Crime is not dealt with the same as in western culture so make it a point to dress modestly and stay out of compromising situations -walking to/from bars late at night, inviting strangers into your home, making it obvious you live alone. Just be cautious. I saw many western women walking topless on beaches and even walking around the city in tank tops and miniskirts. You just can't do that in a culture where you will obviously stand out as a non-local. I don't care what the local women are doing/wearing. You cannot allow yourself to get THAT comfortable.
2) I also read a lot about ATM fraud. As my debit card info just got stolen, I don't relish that happening again. The idea that the majority of ATMs are unsafe concerns me, as you definitely need to know about that so you could adjust your actions accordingly. On top of that, I even read some accounts where people said you shouldn't even pay at a restaurant with a card unless you're right there at the till to watch them run it through. Have you heard much about any of that?
*This is partially true. But, it can happen anywhere. It happened to me right here in the good ole U.S of A. That being said, I used my cards when there was no other option and had no problems. Just try to use cash/quetzals as often as you can. If possible, go inside banks to withdraw money from the teller. They will allow you to do this with a credit card and a debit card. You may also want to frequently check your account online to keep track.
***Guatemala is a really diverse country- mountains, beaches, rivers, lakes, hot springs, jungles, volcanoes, etc...You will enjoy your time there. It is truly one of the most underrated places I've ever been. You will also meet people from all over the world who are there for one reason or another. To study Spanish, wannabe hippie trust fund babies, backpackers, former Israeli soldiers on gap year, Aussies on gap year, Brits on gap year, and humanitarians - Peace Corps, Docs w/o Borders, SPCA, Habitat For Humanity, etc... You name it, they're there. I hooked up with many of these people for weekend travel. You will have a blast. Just be smart, be observant, and most of all be kind. This is a poor country. But the locals will share all they have with you to make you feel welcome if you show them some respect. If you're hired, purchase yourself a Rough Guide-Guatemala/ Rough Guide Central America and enjoy the region.
davey

Post by davey »

[i]I saw many western women walking topless on beaches and even walking around the city in tank tops and miniskirts. You just can't do that in a culture where you will obviously stand out as a non-local. I don't care what the local women are doing/wearing. You cannot allow yourself to get THAT comfortable.[/i]

As I would never dress like that in any place I'd live, I think I'm okay on that front. Well, I mean, tank-tops, yes, but I've never owned a mini-skirt in my life.

[i]It happened to me right here in the good ole U.S of A. That being said, I used my cards when there was no other option and had no problems. Just try to use cash/quetzals as often as you can. If possible, go inside banks to withdraw money from the teller. They will allow you to do this with a credit card and a debit card. You may also want to frequently check your account online to keep track. [/i]

Okay, cool. I've been checking my account online compulsively since someone got my info, so I can easily keep doing that. And I'd much rather go inside and get done what I need to get done, anyway. I would have to get used to using cash, though - I am very much a "pay for everything with my card" sort of person.

[i]***Guatemala is a really diverse country- mountains, beaches, rivers, lakes, hot springs, jungles, volcanoes, etc...You will enjoy your time there. [/i]

That sounds so awesome. And as the position is earth science, the geological diversity is such a boon. And it would just be awesome to see all that, anyway.

Thanks so much for your help! You've given me a lot to think about.
skazzyskills

Post by skazzyskills »

we had an interview with this school and it went very well, to the point where they told us we would be a perfect fit to the school, then they emailed us the package. we then replied with questions we had, some about security issues (we're a family of 4). i got the feeling they didn't like too many questions about security, as the next day they basically rescinded the 'offer' and said we weren't the right 'fit' for the school; go figure.

ask them about the teacher 2 years ago that got held up at gunpoint. she obviously freaked out and broke contract and left. I'm guessing they didn't want any 'easily frightened' teachers coming.

just something to keep in mind. guatemala is not like other SA countries..research carefully.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

I worked at this school 11 years ago. It was a nice place to be. I loved Guate and Central America in general. Antigua, Pana, Tikal, Livingston...really a wonderful country. I have been back several times and genuinely thing the place is special.

However, we lost 3 parents to murder/political hits during my first year. Bag snatching and other less frightening crimes were also very common. Bodyguards lined the street outside of the main gate. I was raised in Latin America, so it didn't seem too strange or daunting to me...and at the same time I was in my mid-twenties and didn’t have a care in the world.

I am married now to a lovely Brit, have a daughter and live in Asia. I really do think that someday I will end up in Latin America; but, I would NEVER consider moving to Guate now. Unless they sort their security issues, I would definitely pass.
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

Calcio-
I totally agree with what you're saying about not moving there with a family. I also remember hearing stories about "political" hits. The country is not too far removed from the civil war of the 80s and early 90s. However, I do not think Guatemala is any more dangerous than any other country located in the 3rd. I think most CA countries are poor and tend to be lawless. I also think that a young single could safely enjoy the region (for a couple of years) if she is cautious and aware of how/where crimes happen in such an area. I never traveled the roads at night, never took up with local men, didn't get involved with politics, never went out drinking/bar hopping, never got involved with the drug culture, didn't show signs of wealth, etc...In other words, I never made myself vulnerable. Not to say that works for everyone but it somehow worked for me. My gringo brother-in-law worked as an engineer in Petén, married a Guatemalan and would rather live there than in the U.S. They have 2 kids. Would I settle there with my kids? Heck no! But I would have taught there for a couple years so that I could travel all CA on the cheap. But I do agree with you, Davey should proceed with caution.
Last edited by MMMC on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

WHAT???

Post by PsyGuy »

""I never traveled the roads at night, never took up with local men, didn't get involved with politics, never went out drinking/bar hopping, never got involved with the drug culture, didn't show signs of wealth""....

Wheres the fun in that??? If your a young, single person then really, why go???
davey

Post by davey »

Wow. It got chatty today. Thanks so much, guys. The security is the MAIN thing I am concerned about. The rest aside I can manage, but when you get into people being murdered and all that, I get extremely nervous.

And, as careful as I know I can be (I am not much for bars, or showing lots of wealth, or dressing in skimpy clothes and all that), I've also got my parents' potential reactions in mind. I have to keep telling them that it's really not likely for me to get hired in Europe straight out (my oldest sister lives in London, so my mom keeps relentlessly asking about schools there), but I also don't want to leave them (and my 93-year-old grandmother) constantly worried about my safety.
davey

Post by davey »

[quote="skazzyskills"]we had an interview with this school and it went very well, to the point where they told us we would be a perfect fit to the school, then they emailed us the package. [/quote]

Huh. Who were you communicating with? (If you don't mind me asking.) Maybe it was a different level. In email, I explicitly mentioned my concerns with security. In his words: "bad things happen here" - that's pretty blunt in my mind. How specific did you get with your security questions? I mentioned that I'd read the State Department Travel information and asked for his perspective...did you ask about specific incidents?

Also, if you don't mind me asking: package - good, okay, not so good?
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

I teach in the general neighborhood.

To say "Guatemala City is no different than any major city in the world so take the usual precautions" is not accurate.

Honduras-El Salvador-Guatemala was recently deemed the most dangerous region in the world outside of a war zone. Some observers estimate there were over 15,000 gang-related murders in 2011 and a couple more thousand "disappeared." In a region of 30,000,000 this may not sound like much but there is a de facto urban civil war with police literally not venturing into many parts of Guatemala City, San Sal and Tegucigalpa.

You may not experience any of this first-hand, though about half the expats I know have been mugged/held up at gunpoint/pick-pocketed etc. But the number of ways in which your personal freedom is curtailed in societies like these gets old real fast.

You need to read The Economist and Small Wars Blog. Not the Lonely Planet.
davey

Post by davey »

[quote="lightstays"]
You need to read The Economist and Small Wars Blog. Not the Lonely Planet.[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation and all the information. While the school sounds great, I am definitely not going into this lightly, so I appreciate you pointing me towards some better information.
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

"To say "Guatemala City is no different than any major city in the world so take the usual precautions" is not accurate".

Based on my experience traveling in several 3rd world major cities, I wouldn't call the above statement inaccurate. But I'd agree it's a different perspective.