What do you think about Shekou & Kiev?

Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I have friends at both schools and friends who previously taught at Shekou. Personally I would go for Shekou, not that my friends in Kiev are awful people but simply location, location, location. In addition, I have heard from families in Shekou that they have nice housing (whether thats universally true I can't vouch for). Hong Kong is a fabulous city, lots of things to do, easy to get in and out of and generally a nice place to visit.

Do not underestimate the value and availability of good medical care, especially when you have kids. Not that Kiev doesn't have good medical care.

Many of Shekou's posted issues were with the previous director who apparently is causing havoc at another QSI school in Eastern Europe now.

On the downside China is very polluted and Shekou is right in the middle of the worst of it. The dollar continues its fall vs the Yuan and that, combined with inflation, is working as a double whammy on international teachers.

Psyguy may have problems with QSI, and trust me I have issues as well, but QSI is a pretty straightforward institution, their paycheques are always on time and good, they are a good step into into the world of international teaching, and their benefits aren't bad. As you already know every school has its issues and QSI is no different.

I wish you well.
Danda

Post by Danda »

*Do you think all those China vacancies are people who've put in their 2 and are moving on? *Or is it a high stress environment?
I know one couple is leaving to go back to the states after 2 years in Shekou and 2 years at another QSI school. I have no idea why other people are leaving. I can say that I’m pretty sure it is not because it is a high stress environment. The expectations tend to be pretty low at the QSI schools I’ve been at. I get stressed out because I have personally high expectations and often don’t feel supported by either QSI admin or the mastery system. Once you can reconcile your own personal expectations with the QSI mastery system you’ll be pretty happy with the organization. The workload is generally reasonable and because extracurriculars are unpaid no one is forced to do them. Some people coach and participate in lots of activities and some people do nothing. It’s really up to you.

*Also, is housing pre-assigned or do teachers have a choice?
Your first year you will just be assigned a place. Sometimes they will give you some choice like: do you want to live close to the school or close to downtown? In both the schools I’ve taught at, you can relocate after your first year to an apartment or place of your choice as long as it costs less than your housing allowance. Some people figure out their housing allowance and go find a place on their own and some even choose to pay extra for nice places. If you spend less than your allowance you do not get to keep the extra. I’ve been extremely happy with my housing with QSI. We currently live in a 2000 sq ft apartment that is gorgeous. However, the housing in Shekou is not nearly as nice because it is so much more expensive there.

*What if one of the "Stans" is all that's available? Would you go there with young kids?
The big issue with the Stans and children is medical care. I was constantly terrified that something would happen to my son. I’ve known two people that had to be medivacced out of Central Asia for health issues. One was a slight burn on a child’s foot that was treated improperly and had some complications and that family had to go to Germany. One was a major bike accident that severed an artery that the doctors thought could just be tied off at both ends causing massive issues including a near fatal infection. That person was taken to Germany as well. So, quality medical treatment is an 8 hour flight away and that is only available after consulting with the insurance company and finding a flight out. Unfortunately, they look to Russia as their inspiration for medical treatment, which is not such a great idea. Each of the cities has a local clinic manned by western doctors, but they can do very few things. In comparison, HK has phenomenal health care. Some of the hospitals there are better than all but the premier research hospitals in the states.

I think that QSI likes to get people interested with putting Shekou out there as an option. If they said that your only options were Central Asia or Kiev many people would walk away. They did that with us. They said that they were considering Kiev, Shekou and Central Asia and we said that we wanted Shekou and were interested in Kiev. When the time came to offer us a job they only offered us Central Asia. We accepted. It wasn’t a terrible experience and we made some great friends and made the most of it but I can’t help but think we kind of wasted 2 years of our lives in a crappy location. If you’re not desperate, then I’m not sure I’d take a job in Central Asia. It is a way to get a foot in the door but not a very enjoyable way to do it. We did it because we were tired of struggling as teachers in the states. We lived in a low paying teacher state that had a very high cost of living. So, we were willing to suffer in order to make some more money. Now we are happy that we’ve moved on to China and intend to stay here another couple of years and then look to get out of QSI before our son moves into lower Elementary.

You are right that QSI is a solid organization. You will not get screwed over by them.
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

Overhere & Danda-

thank you kindly for your responses. You both have made things clearer for us. I can't say too much at the moment because we are still in the "process." Once the "process" is finalized, I promise to post an update. That update should come really soon.
Thanks Everyone.
PsyGuy

Bigger Picture

Post by PsyGuy »

I do have problems and issues with QSI, and I've written as such, however the quality of an international school "the line in the sand" if you will, shouldnt be and isnt for me as simple as or limited to an on time paycheque....